Europe
Berlinale rules: No dresses incompatible with the ‘liberal democratic order’
The Berlin International Film Festival, which last year was the subject of protests and attempts to silence pro-Palestinian voices, has published the festival rules on its website.
“Our aim is to make your visit as pleasant and safe as possible,” the Kulturveranstaltungen des Bundes in Berlin said, laying out standard prohibitions for the 13-23 February 2025 event, such as smoking, eating, and drinking during events, being under the influence of drugs or alcohol, making noise and possessing materials that violate German narcotics laws.
Towards the end of the bans, one paragraph reads in full:
“Admission and supervisory staff may refuse entry to any visitor who is not behaving appropriately or who, in their opinion, is likely to disrupt the performance or exhibition or cause problems for other visitors. This includes any physical, verbal or gestural form of sexual harassment or discrimination. It is forbidden to wear or carry clothing, bags, materials, etc. containing expressions incompatible with the liberal democratic order. Individuals may be removed from the event or ejected from the venue. The instructions of the staff on duty must be followed. Tickets are non-refundable. (Editor’s emphasis)”
At the last festival in February, the best film award went to Senegalese-French director Mati Diop’s Dahomey, while the acceptance speech by Israeli Yuval Abraham, co-director of No Other Land, which won the best documentary award, caused a storm as many participants criticised Israel and expressed solidarity with the Palestinians.
In a statement on social media platform X, Abraham said that an Israeli channel had broadcast a 30-second section of the speech, which he described as ‘anti-Semitic’, and that he had since received death threats.
Following the documentary makers’ statements, German politicians began to speak out against Abraham and Adra, the Palestinian woman with whom he made the film.
Berlin’s CDU mayor Kai Wegner said: ‘What happened yesterday at the Berlinale was an unacceptable relativization. There is no place for anti-Semitism in Berlin, not even in the arts,’ he wrote.
Helge Lindh, a member of Chancellor Olaf Scholz’s Social Democratic Party (SPD), described the audience’s applause after the speech on Saturday as ‘shocking’.
Berlin’s culture minister, Joe Chialo, later said the award ceremony was ‘marked by self-congratulatory anti-Israel propaganda’.
The Federal Government Commissioner for Culture and the Media, Claudia Roth, also announced an investigation into criticism of Israel’s attack on Gaza during the ceremony.
Europe
Ukraine uses British drones for long-range strikes deep inside Russia
Ukraine has for the first time used unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) manufactured by two British companies in strikes against targets deep inside Russian Federation territory.
According to a report by The Times newspaper, which cited sources within the Armed Forces of Ukraine, the attacks in question were carried out over the past six months.
The newspaper claimed that facilities in the cities of Volgograd and Yaroslavl were among the targets hit.
According to details reported in the story, a heavy British T-150 drone manufactured by Malloy Aeronautics was used in the Kherson region in April.
In long-range attacks, the jet-powered Nyan drone, developed by BAE Systems subsidiary Callen-Lenz, and UAVs produced by an unnamed second British company were deployed.
Military analysts suggested that Russia might launch retaliatory strikes against British manufacturers due to the support provided to Kyiv. However, the newspaper noted that the likelihood of a direct military confrontation with NATO remains low.
Former British Defence Minister Dan Jarvis stated in June that London would deliver at least 150,000 drones, along with 350 anti-aircraft missiles and radar systems, to Kyiv by the end of the year.
The Telegraph newspaper reported that the total value of the drones was calculated at £500 million, with British authorities intending to cover this cost using frozen Russian assets. The UK also provides Storm Shadow cruise missiles to Ukraine.
The Moscow administration, which argues that military aid prolongs the conflict, condemns the support given to Kyiv. Russia’s Ambassador to London, Andrey Kelin, stated that the United Kingdom is “more deeply involved” in the conflict in Ukraine than any other NATO member.
Russian President Vladimir Putin warned that responses to Ukrainian attacks on Russian territory would be many times stronger.
In April, the Russian Ministry of Defence published a list of production facilities in several Western countries that it claimed were supplying drones and spare parts to Ukraine.
Two factories operating on UK territory were included on the list. In its statement, the ministry noted that the decision by various countries to increase the production and delivery of UAVs to Ukraine “creates the threat of a rapid escalation of the military-political situation across the entire European continent”.
Dmitry Medvedev, Deputy Chairman of the Security Council of Russia, described the facility list as Russia’s “list of potential targets”.
In his assessment, Medvedev stated: “When the strikes become reality depends on what happens next. Sleep tight, dear partners.”
Europe
CDU unrest raises doubts over Merz’s future as chancellor
Germany’s Chancellor Friedrich Merz is facing mounting unrest within his Christian Democratic Union (CDU), with party figures reportedly beginning to push for a change in leadership.
According to Der Spiegel, frustration is growing among influential party members who believe Merz has repeatedly failed to capitalize on political opportunities.
One senior party figure quoted by the magazine said: “The ball is sitting on the penalty spot, the opposing goalkeeper is nowhere in sight, yet Merz somehow manages to score an own goal.”
Der Spiegel added: “It appears there is little hope left within the CDU that Merz can climb out of the hole he has dug for himself.”
After speaking with the chancellor’s allies and figures from the CDU leadership circle, the magazine said the interviews painted the picture of a party that has lost confidence in Merz.
“This is unprecedented in post-war German history. When CDU Chancellor Ludwig Erhard was removed by his own party in 1966, the process unfolded slowly and gradually over several months. In Merz’s case, however, it has been possible to watch his authority collapse within just a few days. And the person dragging him down is not his party colleagues, but himself.”
The CDU has already been on edge after trailing the Alternative for Germany (AfD) in opinion polls for months. The situation has now been compounded by what Der Spiegel described as the “Merz fiasco”.
According to the magazine, even within the CDU’s highest leadership circles, almost no one would now bet that the chancellor will remain in office until Christmas.
According to Politico, public criticism of Merz has come primarily from figures who were removed from government during the cabinet reshuffle.
The leadership issue, however, has not yet been raised openly because of the summer recess.
Elections are due in three eastern German states: Saxony-Anhalt, Berlin and Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania. Polling points to a disastrous outcome for the CDU.
One prominent Christian Democrat wrote: “Things I once thought unimaginable are happening. Merz is in a tunnel; he can no longer reach the party. Everything is over.”
The same CDU figure believes Merz will either have to throw in the towel or be forced to resign by 21 September at the latest.
That date refers to the Monday following the twin elections in Berlin and Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania.
The collapse in confidence surrounding Merz has followed this chronology. On Saturday, 18 July, parliamentary group leader Jens Spahn resigned.
Just three days earlier, Spahn had announced through the Bild newspaper that he and his husband had welcomed a son born through a surrogate mother in the US.
For Merz, this presented a completely unexpected opportunity. He had never trusted Spahn but had hoped he could keep him under control after becoming chancellor.
In recent months, however, the parliamentary group leader had become one of the coalition’s central figures by taking advantage of what the article describes as Merz’s weak leadership.
Nothing moved without him. Spahn had effectively become the CDU’s second most powerful figure.
The chancellor was unhappy with that situation, but Spahn’s resignation suddenly removed the problem on its own. Merz had already been planning a cabinet reshuffle for the autumn.
The chancellor is also reported to have been dissatisfied with several cabinet members and, according to the article, to have displayed a certain “arrogance” in meetings with subordinates.
For example, during an executive board meeting in Rhineland-Palatinate, a letter became public stating that the CDU parliamentary group in the state legislature had cancelled its meeting with Merz because “the minimum level of mutual trust and respect” no longer existed. According to the article, such an insult had never occurred before.
Participants at last week’s Presidium and Executive Committee meetings all noticed the tense atmosphere.
Some believe the CDU leader has “buried himself deep inside his own tunnel” and “is no longer even aware of how serious his situation has become”.
According to later accounts from the group, Rhineland-Palatinate Minister-President Gordon Schnieder even accused the chancellor of lacking professionalism.
What happens next? According to Der Spiegel, the party leadership is avoiding that question. No scenarios are being discussed, even in small groups.
“They do not want to invite disaster. Especially now, when everyone is looking forward to the summer break. Right now, nobody needs a change of chancellor. But nobody believes Merz still has a future as head of government.”
After the elections in eastern Germany, some argue that Merz should be forced to resign.
According to the report, if three experienced state premiers were to advise the chancellor to step down for the good of both the country and the party, Merz would almost certainly comply, or at least that is what his team believes. Even so, they are not entirely certain.
Following such a resignation, North Rhine-Westphalia Minister-President Hendrik Wust is expected to step in. He is the only figure mentioned as a potential successor to Merz.
CSU leader Markus Soeder is reportedly considered unacceptable to the CDU, while the idea that CSU Interior Minister Alexander Dobrindt could become chancellor is described as absurd. As a result, the task would fall to Wust.
Europe
Germany lays groundwork for civilian alternative as conscription looms
In Germany, the Ministry for Family Affairs has already begun working on the revitalization of alternative civilian service, which serves as a constitutionally mandated prerequisite for the reintroduction of compulsory military service.
The federal government is taking measures to implement a new civilian service system in the event that mandatory military service is restored.
The Federal Ministry for Family Affairs confirmed that over recent months it surveyed 23 major associations and organizations regarding the types of opportunities they could offer to conscientious objectors should compulsory military service be reinstated.
A ministry spokesperson stated: “22 out of the 23 associations indicated that, in the event that the military obligation is reactivated, their infrastructure and placements are in principle ready, and they could offer a wide variety of opportunities to those performing civilian service in lieu of military service.”
Thorsten Frei, parliamentary secretary of the Christian Democratic Union (CDU) and Christian Social Union (CSU) faction in the Bundestag, considers taking precautions against the potential entry into force of a new civilian service to be “very sensible and correct.”
Speaking to the channels RTL and ntv, the CDU politician noted that there is currently no new development in the discussions regarding a return to military service.
However, Frei emphasized: “We can never rule out that decisions may need to be taken quickly to prepare for all contingencies. In that case, the resulting consequences must also be clear.”
Criticism regarding the potential reintroduction of compulsory civilian service has emerged from the opposition.
Ines Schwerdtner, co-leader of The Left party, stressed that “the state should not dictate to young people how they ought to spend a year of their lives.” This principle, she asserted, applies as much to compulsory civilian service as it does to compulsory military service.
According to Schwerdtner, young people should not be used “to fill the gaps in a welfare state that the federal government has spent years ruining through austerity policies.”
In statements to the Funke Media Group, the party chair emphasized that there is no need for “state-mandated cheap labor” in care services, emergency rescue services, or social institutions.
Martin Hagen, Secretary General of the Free Democratic Party (FDP), views the preparations by the Federal Ministry for Family Affairs as an admission of failure by the CDU-SPD coalition government.
Pointing out that plans for a new civilian service are already being drawn up, Hagen stated that this demonstrates the coalition government has “zero confidence in its efforts to reach the target personnel numbers for the Bundeswehr through voluntary enlistment.”
Hagen criticized the CDU/CSU and SPD for failing to “make the Bundeswehr an attractive employer and to inspire young people toward military service.”
The Social Association of Germany (SoVD) also expressed concern, presenting arguments similar to those of Left Party leader Schwerdtner.
Michaela Engelmeier, Chairwoman of the SoVD Executive Board, stated that compulsory civilian service would represent a major intervention by the state in the freedom and life plans of young people.
She likewise warned that a new civilian service could be abused to obtain cheap labor and to substitute for regular employment. Instead of focusing on a new civilian service, she argued that the federal government ought to strengthen voluntary work.
According to junge Welt (jW), the German media is applauding this step, with some outlets now demanding further forms of compulsory service not merely for youth, but for everyone.
As the newspaper Neue Ruhr Zeitung (NRZ) acknowledged, the government’s plans imply that “the implementation of general conscription is drawing near.”
It is argued that these compulsory services are necessary “due to the threat originating from Russia and NATO’s shifting objectives.”
The newspaper Die Rheinpfalz expressed regret that the “voluntary community service year” is “unfortunately being overlooked” in the current debate, while echoing the German government’s rationale:
“Ever since the hope for everlasting peace in Europe was shattered by Russia’s brutal attack on Ukraine, Germany once again requires more soldiers.”
Arguing that this idea is “more logical today than ever,” the newspaper continued:
“Everyone devotes a few months to society between school, vocational training, and university. Naturally, it remains up to each individual to decide whether that time is spent in the military, or in a hospital, a care home, or a fire station.”
Even within Redaktionsnetzwerk Deutschland (RND), the prevailing view is that rather than merely debating a new civilian service program for conscientious objectors, a “fundamental and comprehensive debate regarding a period of social service or a general mandatory service year” should be initiated.
The deputy head of RND’s Berlin bureau states that compulsory service requires “public acceptance.” The “enormous potential of a universal mandatory service year” and the “certainty of personally contributing to the country’s security and stability” are highlighted as significant justifications driving Germany toward a new mandatory conscription turning point.
RND writes that women as well as men, and older adults alongside young people, would be included in this framework, adding that people could finally “do something for the state—and consequently for themselves.”
Compulsory military service was suspended in July 2011, which in practice meant the abolition of both military and civilian service. Civilian service was replaced by the Federal Voluntary Service.
At the beginning of this year, a new military service framework came into effect. The foundation of this arrangement relies on a mandatory health examination for young men born in 2008 and later. Through this mechanism, the aim is to recruit volunteers to strengthen the armed forces.
Should target capacity ranges fail to be met, the Bundestag may enact a decision on “need-based mandatory conscription.”
-
Asia2 weeks agoChina launches global tax audit on super-rich to recover billions
-
Europe2 weeks agoEuropean nations seek alternatives to Palantir amid growing digital sovereignty concerns
-
Europe2 weeks agoEuropean carmakers turn to Chinese rivals to salvage struggling plants
-
Diplomacy2 weeks agoDefense Priorities director warns US air strategy in Middle East faces tactical limits
-
Europe2 weeks agoDenmark to deploy conscripts to Greenland for first time amid Arctic security risks
-
Europe2 weeks agoEU governments push to narrow “Made in Europe” preference rules in industrial draft bill
-
Opinion2 weeks agoMacroeconomic consequences of asymmetric UAV attacks in Russia
-
Europe2 weeks agoGerman carmakers face historical crisis as Chinese competition and market contraction erode profits
