Connect with us

Diplomacy

NATO allies unveil multibillion-dollar defense deals in Ankara as Rutte seeks to reassure Trump

Published

on

NATO allies on Tuesday announced defense industrial agreements worth tens of billions of dollars to acquire surveillance aircraft and advanced unmanned aerial vehicles.

“This is money well spent,” NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte said at the opening of a historic NATO summit held in Türkiye.

US President Donald Trump, who landed in Ankara on Tuesday afternoon for the summit, has previously characterized NATO as a “paper tiger” that could not function without US leadership and weaponry.

According to the Financial Times, Rutte announced the agreements on a stage featuring impactful videos and loud techno music, as he sought to convince Trump that European allies are serious about taking greater responsibility for the continent’s defense.

While several of the initiatives announced by Rutte involved major contracts with US companies, many were independent of them.

One of the most expensive items was an agreement to purchase up to 10 surveillance aircraft from a consortium led by Sweden’s Saab and Canada’s Bombardier.

The “GlobalEye” aircraft, which cost between $400 million and $450 million each, will replace NATO’s fleet of 14 AWACS early warning radar surveillance aircraft.

Micael Johansson, President of Saab, stated that the aircraft, early versions of which are already in service, could be delivered starting in 2030 if the agreement is finalized soon.

However, Rutte also announced that allies would purchase a maximum of five Northrop Grumman MQ-4C Triton high-altitude surveillance drones.

Norway, Finland, Germany, and Denmark signed a letter of intent to purchase these drones, which cost approximately $270 million each, according to recent procurement figures from the US Department of Defense.

“We need a transatlantic defense-industrial revolution. The hum of machinery must become a roar. The money is there, and much more is on the way. But this money needs to work… the security situation demands it,” Rutte said.

These high-profile defense industrial agreements follow Rutte’s visit to Washington late last month, which aimed to address US concerns that several European and Canadian nations were falling short of their defense spending commitments.

At the White House, Rutte presented a chart titled “The Trump Trillion,” which demonstrated that European and Canadian allies had increased their defense spending by $1.2 trillion since 2017.

However, Trump appeared largely unimpressed by Rutte’s presentation and expressed frustration that some NATO allies had refused to participate in the war with Iran. “We don’t need their money. I just want loyalty,” Trump said.

Ahead of the NATO summit, a senior US official noted that Trump had “pre-assessed the extent to which our allies are failing to meet their defense commitments, and he will deliver this message in person.”

The US official added that NATO allies must “be more capable” and “implement the Hague defense commitment as quickly as possible.”

The Hague commitment mandates allocating 5% of GDP to defense by 2035. Rutte stated on Monday that allies would be asked to present “clear, concrete, and credible plans” to achieve this target during the summit. He also warned that if there are countries that need to be persuaded, “we have our ways of doing so,” though he did not elaborate.

In addition to reassuring Trump, a senior European official said the objective behind this surge in defense agreements is to “increase our capacity, ensure interoperability among allies, and generally make progress in deterring anyone who intends to attack us.”

Nevertheless, some of the agreements highlighted the difficulties encountered in NATO’s efforts regarding the transatlantic co-production of new weapons.

German defense company Rheinmetall and US defense giant Lockheed Martin announced progress on a plan to produce rockets and missiles in Germany.

However, after months of discussions, this development fell short of the expectations expressed more than a year ago by Rheinmetall CEO Armin Papperger.

Those expectations included the licensed production of PAC-3 interceptor missiles for Patriot air defense systems, which have proven vital in protecting Ukrainian cities from Russian ballistic missile attacks.

Instead, the two companies only announced progress on ATACMS missiles, which represent a less high-tech product. The US is currently phasing out these missiles to replace them with a more technologically advanced successor.

In a separate announcement, plans were unveiled to establish a dedicated PAC-3 maintenance facility on European soil. However, the goal of producing PAC-3 interceptor missiles under license in Europe remained an elusive ambition.

Rather than offering a firm commitment, US Under Secretary of Defense Michael Duffey told reporters, “We remain open to the possibility of production outside the US.”

In a statement issued by London, the United Kingdom noted that 12 European nations, including the UK, France, and Germany, will spend more than $50 billion over the next decade to develop long-range precision weapons to strengthen NATO’s defense capabilities.

British Prime Minister Keir Starmer will announce the UK-led initiative in Ankara today, and the participating nations will issue a joint declaration containing additional details.

Turkish defense companies to cooperate with Palantir

ASELSAN, ROKETSAN, STM, and TÜBİTAK joined five major new multinational NATO programs during the 2026 NATO Summit held in Ankara.

Haluk Görgün, President of the Defense Industry Agency of Türkiye, announced that ASELSAN, ROKETSAN, STM, and TÜBİTAK will participate in the following five large-scale NATO programs:

  • Strike Capabilities
  • Integrated Air and Missile Defense (IAMD)
  • Space and Surveillance
  • Critical Materials for Defense Industry
  • Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Superiority

In the strike capabilities program, Diehl of Germany and ROKETSAN of Türkiye are understood to be the primary suppliers. Participating countries in this program include Türkiye, Canada, the Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Greece, Italy, Norway, Slovakia, Sweden, and the United Kingdom.

The Integrated Air and Missile Defense (IAMD) program is viewed as a massive initiative with a budget of $26.27 billion. The IAMD program will contract ASELSAN, Raytheon, ROKETSAN, Anduril UK, Rheinmetall, Palantir, and Athea. The participating countries are Türkiye, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Greece, and Romania.

Under the Space and Surveillance program, valued at approximately $4 billion, ASELSAN, Isar Aerospace, MLS, ROKETSAN, and TÜBİTAK have been contracted. The participants in this program are Türkiye, Canada, Denmark, Finland, Germany, the Netherlands, Norway, and Sweden.

Diplomacy

UK plans targeted sanctions on Israel over West Bank settlement bids

Published

on

British Foreign Secretary Ed Miliband has said the government will prepare “new, targeted sanctions” against Israelis involved in “illegal settlement expansion” in Gaza and the West Bank.

In a statement issued on Wednesday night (19 August), Miliband stated that following the Israeli government’s opening of tenders for the construction of 1,200 settlement homes in the strategically vital E1 area of the West Bank, the United Kingdom would not “stand back and accept the destruction of the two-state solution”.

“The E1 area will run straight through the heart of Palestine and risks cutting off the West Bank from East Jerusalem; this would jeopardise the viability of a two-state solution,” Miliband said, describing the Israeli government’s actions as “unacceptable and destructive”.

The British minister called on his Israeli counterpart, Gideon Sa’ar, to “halt the E1 plans immediately” and withdraw the tender.

Miliband also stated that he had summoned Charge d’Affaires Daniela Grudsky Ekstein, the country’s top diplomat in the UK, to the Foreign Office to convey these demands clearly.

Miliband said the UK would announce a “comprehensive range of measures in the coming weeks in response to the policies of the Israeli government”.

These measures underscore a harder line taken by the UK against Benjamin Netanyahu’s government under the new Prime Minister, Andy Burnham.

This shift in stance was evident even before Burnham officially became prime minister. Burnham apologised for the Labour Party’s previous position on Israel’s military campaign in Gaza under his predecessor, Keir Starmer, saying the party “had not got it right”.

Last month, the UK’s new Defence Secretary, Wes Streeting, stated that Israel was not “complying” with international standards in Gaza and the West Bank.

Other European allies have also hardened their stance towards Israel. Earlier on Wednesday, German Chancellor Friedrich Merz strongly condemned remarks by National Security Minister Itamar Ben Gvir, who called for nighttime assassinations in Gaza.

Israel, for its part, reacted against the London administration. Foreign Minister Sa’ar said: “The Jewish people have the right to live everywhere in the Land of Israel, just as the British have the right to live in London and throughout the UK.”

Maintaining that the British-issued 1917 Balfour Declaration “officially recognised the historic right of the Jewish people to re-establish their national homeland in the Land of Israel—including the area in question”, the minister pointed out that Britain still controlled colonial territories thousands of kilometres from its own shores.

Arguing that it was absurd for Britain to “lecture the Jewish people on where they can live in their historic and tiny homeland”, Sa’ar said the British Foreign Secretary’s statement condemned Israel while “turning a blind eye to Palestinian terrorism, incitement, and the Palestinian Authority’s ongoing financial support for terror—namely the ‘pay to slay’ policy”.

Sa’ar concluded his statement:

“The UK Government’s systematic policy of blaming only Israel while ignoring Palestinian extremism has already contributed to an enormous wave of antisemitic hatred and attacks against the British Jewish community. Continuing on this path will only make matters worse.

The British Government’s decision to damage relations between our countries is deeply regrettable. But Israel will not be a passive victim of this policy.

Israel will defend its rights, its interests, and its people.”

Continue Reading

Diplomacy

Barrack urges tripartite deconfliction after Israeli Syria strikes

Published

on

US Special Envoy for Syria Tom Barrack said that efforts are underway to establish a deconfliction mechanism between Israel, Türkiye, and Syria.

Yesterday, Israeli aircraft carried out eight strikes on Abu al-Duhur Air Base in Idlib, causing material damage.

Barrack, who also serves as the US Ambassador to Türkiye, stated that Türkiye was not warned in advance about the Israeli strikes, saying, “Türkiye therefore observed aircraft heading north toward its own territory and thus could reasonably prepare its own response,” referring to a possible Turkish military reaction.

In a telephone interview with Reuters, Barrack said, “Fortunately, cooler heads were able to prevent the situation from deteriorating further.”

Türkiye condemned Israel’s strikes on Abu al-Duhur air base in northwestern Syria, but made no further comment on the matter, including on a potential deconfliction mechanism.

A deconfliction mechanism is a communication channel established between military or political actors to prevent misunderstandings or accidental clashes.

Barrack said Israel’s strikes on the Syrian air base “reflected a perception, whether right or wrong, that Türkiye might increase its presence at that base in the near future,” and continued:

“This situation underscores the need for a deconfliction mechanism involving Israel, Syria, and Türkiye. We are actively working to establish this mechanism in order to prevent future miscommunications. The priority right now is to de-escalate tensions and prepare the ground for a more measured approach.”

The air base, located approximately 70 km east of the Turkish border, has not served as a military airfield since 2013.

Syria and Israel have held several rounds of talks on de-escalation and border issues since forces under the command of Ahmed Shara overthrew Bashar al-Assad, but no agreement has been reached.

Barrack said, “An incident of the kind that occurred this morning demonstrates that these efforts must be intensified and the process broadened.”

The envoy stated that the US is already facilitating an information-sharing and dialogue mechanism between the parties:

“What is required is a more robust structure to which more resources are allocated. Investing in such mechanisms is far less costly than relying on kinetic means of communication, which can cost hundreds of millions of dollars.”

An Israeli official told Fox News on Tuesday that Israel had shared “extremely sensitive intelligence” with the US prior to the strike, but provided no further details.

The official said, “Shara understands that he cannot act like the previous Syrian regime that held proxy forces. He may not have understood or known what was happening.”

In a statement immediately following the strike, Barrack had said that the Shara administration “does not maintain proxy forces” in Syria.

The office of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu later issued a statement claiming responsibility for the strikes.

Arguing that Israel and Syria had agreed “on maintaining the status quo on security matters,” Netanyahu claimed Syria came to the brink of violating this by permitting the deployment of Turkish troops to an air base near Aleppo:

“Israel repeatedly warned Syria that such a deployment would pose a threat to Israel’s security. Syria, however, chose to ignore these warnings.”

The office stated that Tel Aviv warned Syria that such a deployment would threaten Israel’s security, adding that it “would welcome a return to the status quo.”

According to Axios, the Syrian government had been aware of Israel’s concerns regarding the base for some time. According to a source familiar with the matter, the Syrian government had sent messages to the Israelis explaining the reasons for rebuilding the runway and emphasising that they had no hostile intentions.

US and Israeli officials stated that the Israelis informed the White House that the purpose of the strike was to deter Türkiye from deploying advanced weapons systems to the air base and to prevent a broader military build-up in the area.

A Turkish official denied Israel’s claims, saying, “There was no Turkish presence at the air base. Israel is inventing pretexts to bomb neighbouring countries and destabilise the region.”

The Turkish Ministry of Foreign Affairs condemned the strike conducted by Israel, stating that Israel had “violated Syria’s territorial integrity and unity by targeting the country’s infrastructure and military capacity.”

Continue Reading

Diplomacy

How mini-middle powers leverage geography, resources, and diplomacy?

Published

on

As an international order emerges in which “middle powers” seek to come to the fore alongside the relative decline of the US, “mini-middle powers” may also be coming to light.

An assessment published in the Financial Times (FT) points to countries that cannot set the broader international agenda but are nevertheless capable of making a difference.

Arguing that these states can be defined as “mini-middle powers”, the article provides the following definition: states that generally possess limited power, but exert real influence in a few areas such as energy, transport routes, regional security, mediation, finance, technology, geography, or access to actors that major powers find difficult to reach.

Noting that the crucial factor is not merely possessing one of these advantages, but being able to leverage it, the FT counts Azerbaijan, Qatar, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, and Oman among these mini-middle powers.

The assessment points out that Qatar and Oman are mini-middle powers in diplomatic terms: Qatar has converted its natural gas wealth, financial clout, and access to hard-to-reach actors into an extraordinary diplomatic role.

Oman, meanwhile, relies on “common sense, its strategic location, and its ability to keep channels open between adversaries.”

For both countries, mediation is not merely a diplomatic role, but also a source of influence.

Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, and Uzbekistan, on the other hand, possess influence rooted in geography and infrastructure. Azerbaijan exports energy, sits astride east-west trade routes, and holds significant weight in South Caucasus politics and security.

Kazakhstan’s oil, uranium, and position between Russia and China give the country an influence that extends beyond its region.

Uzbekistan’s demographic weight as Central Asia’s most populous country, combined with its central position, provides it with growing influence in regional trade and diplomacy.

The Middle Corridor demonstrates how this functions. While Azerbaijan and Kazakhstan sit at the centre of this Asia-Europe route, Uzbekistan is also strengthening its links with the corridor.

Although this route is more arduous than the northern route passing through Russia, it offers an alternative to governments and businesses.

The three countries are also developing a Caspian green energy corridor that could transport renewable energy generated in Central Asia through Azerbaijan and connect to the planned Black Sea electricity cable extending to Europe.

According to the FT, discussions regarding the South Caucasus and Central Asia are still too often treated as a rivalry between Russia, China, and the West.

Yet this approach overlooks how many countries in the region function. Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, and Uzbekistan maintain multidirectional relations because relying on a single side presents risks for geographic, commercial, and security reasons.

Consequently, while attempting to maintain room for manoeuvre among them, these countries cooperate with Russia, China, Türkiye, the EU, and the US.

Qatar and Oman, despite having close security ties with Washington, also keep channels open with adversaries of the US.

In December 2024, after Russian air defence systems shot down an Azerbaijan Airlines passenger plane, Baku’s response was unusually sharp given the power imbalance.

While Baku demanded that Moscow accept responsibility, punish those at fault, and pay compensation, it also sought to maintain overall relations without disruption.

Russia subsequently acknowledged the contribution of its air defence systems to the crash and agreed to pay compensation.

The influence of these “mini-middle powers” becomes strongest when other countries require the resources under their control.

Azerbaijan’s oil and natural gas gain even greater importance when buyers seek alternative supply sources.

The Middle Corridor benefited from the disruption of trade passing through Russia; however, governments along the route are aware that should Western commercial relations with Russia resume, some freight could shift back north.

For Qatar and Oman, mediation becomes even more valuable when the parties themselves no longer speak directly to one another.

The FT article concludes:

“These countries will not set the terms of the next international order. But those who wish to shape that order will often remain dependent on their routes, resources, or diplomatic access. Major powers will find it difficult to succeed without their cooperation.”

Continue Reading

MOST READ

Turkey