Middle East
Israel-backed militia leader outlines plan for a “New Gaza” without Hamas
Hussam al-Astal, the leader of one of the militias armed by Israel against Hamas in Gaza, spoke to Sky News.
Al-Astal stated that the group he leads is part of a joint project to remove Hamas from power and that they receive support from various Arab and Western countries.
Sky News announced that it had confirmed for the first time that Israel supports four anti-Hamas militia organizations, which see themselves as part of a joint project to oust Hamas from power.
According to the report, all armed militias operate in Israeli-controlled areas behind the “yellow line,” the deployment boundary for the Israeli army established by the ceasefire.
‘New Gaza’ project
Speaking from his base in southern Gaza, militia leader Hussam al-Astal said, “I, Yasser Abu Shabab, Rami Halles, and Ashraf al-Mansi have a joint project.”
Al-Astal continued, “We are all in favor of a ‘New Gaza.’ Soon, we will establish control over the entire Gaza Strip and unite under one roof.”
700 meters from an Israeli outpost
Sky News reported that it had identified the location of the headquarters of the militia led by Hussam al-Astal based on footage shared with them.
According to this information, the headquarters is located on the military road that follows the yellow line and is less than 700 meters from the nearest Israeli outpost.
“I hear the sound of tanks as we speak; they are probably on patrol. But I am not worried,” al-Astal said, adding, “They don’t fire at us, and we don’t fire at them… We agreed through a coordinator that this would be a ‘green zone’ that would not come under fire.”
Sentenced to death by Hamas
Al-Astal said he grew up in this area, once a leafy suburb of Khan Younis, Gaza’s second-largest city.
However, he explained that he had to flee in 2010 because he was wanted by Hamas due to his connections with militant groups aligned with the West Bank-based Palestinian Authority.
He stated that he spent the next 11 years working for the Palestinian Authority’s security services in Egypt and Malaysia.
Two months after his return to Gaza, he was accused of involvement in the 2018 assassination of a Hamas member in Malaysia and was sentenced to death.
Al-Astal described his escape from prison: “When the war started, they locked us inside and waited for the Israelis to bomb the prison. Two months later, we broke down the doors and escaped.”
Weapons from the black market, ammunition from Israel
The militias claim that most of their weapons are Kalashnikov rifles, which they buy on the black market from former Hamas fighters.
The report states that ammunition and vehicles are brought in through the Kerem Shalom border crossing after coordination with the Israeli army.
It is known that another militia leader, Yasser Abu Shabab, also uses this crossing.
Sky News previously revealed that Abu Shabab’s militia had smuggled vehicles into Gaza with the help of the Israeli army and an Arab-Israeli car dealer.
Al-Astal stated that he uses the same dealer and that one of his vehicles has partially scraped-off Hebrew writing on it.
Meanwhile, al-Astal explained that they receive weekly shipments of basic necessities for the civilians living in the camp, saying, “We provide basic health and education support to about 30 families.”
“Children can find apples, bananas, food, drinks, and chips. In the tents in other areas, children aged 5, 10, or even 15 often can’t find more than lentils and pasta,” he said.
Footage of the weekly shipments shows a cargo truck at the militia base. The report also noted that a similar truck was identified in the camp in satellite images dated October 14.
The Palestinian Authority plays a key role in coordination
Sky News confirmed that the other two militias operating in northern Gaza also receive aid from Israel.
A militia member from the group led by Rami Halles, which operates in the north, stated that coordination with Israel is conducted indirectly through the District Coordination Office (DCO), which is affiliated with COGAT.
Officials from the Palestinian Authority also serve in this unit, which is part of the Israeli Ministry of Defense.
Sky News reported that this information aligns with statements from an Israeli soldier stationed at Kerem Shalom and a senior commander from the Abu Shabab militia.
According to this, coordination is conducted indirectly through military channels, and the Palestinian Authority plays a key role in this process.
“There are people in my group who are still employees of the Palestinian Authority today,” al-Astal said.
The Ramallah administration did not respond to Sky News‘s questions and had denied having any relationship with these militias.
Al-Astal explained this situation, saying, “The Palestinian Authority cannot admit to a direct relationship with us; it already has enough problems. You can imagine how it would look if it were revealed that it has ties to militias or the ‘occupying forces.'”
Are military operations also coordinated?
Although al-Astal admitted to working with Israel for supplies, he claimed that he does not coordinate any military operations with the Israeli army.
However, it was previously revealed that Israeli aircraft had intervened in two clashes involving the Abu Shabab militia. Abu Shabab was asked if this was a result of coordination, but no response was received.
Hamas accused al-Astal’s group of direct military coordination after its fighters were killed during an Israeli intervention in a clash between the two groups on October 3.
Footage released by the Israeli army also confirms the attacks carried out on that day.
Al-Astal denied the allegations, saying, “I do not control Israeli airstrikes. The Israelis saw armed Hamas elements and struck them.”
External support from the UAE
Multiple sources told Sky News that the militias also receive support from external powers.
Ghassan al-Duhinah, the second-in-command of the Abu Shabab militia, was photographed twice next to a vehicle with United Arab Emirates (UAE) license plates.
Furthermore, it was determined that the logo of the militia, which uses the name “Counter-Terrorism Force,” is nearly identical to the logo of a UAE-backed militia group of the same name in Yemen.
The UAE did not respond to Sky News‘s request for comment.
When asked about UAE support, al-Astal smiled and said, “Inshallah, everything will become clear in time,” adding, “Yes, there are Arab countries that support our project.”
Kushner also mentioned ‘New Gaza’
Al-Astal also named this project: “You will see with your own hands; soon we will be the new administration of Gaza. Our project is ‘New Gaza.’ No war, peace with everyone; no Hamas, no terror.”
Two days after Sky News‘s interview with al-Astal, Jared Kushner, the son-in-law and senior advisor to former US President Donald Trump, also used the phrase “New Gaza.”
Kushner suggested that Gaza could be divided along the yellow line for an indefinite period and said, “No reconstruction funds will go to the areas controlled by Hamas.”
Kushner concluded his remarks: “Assessments are being made to start the construction of a ‘New Gaza’ in the area controlled and secured by the Israeli army, so that Gazans can be provided with a place to go and find work.”
Middle East
Israeli envoy warns red line crossed over Turkish moves in Syria
Israel’s Ambassador to the US, Yechiel Leiter, stated that Tel Aviv received clear intelligence showing Türkiye planned to expand its military presence in Syria significantly, an action Israel deemed the crossing of a “red line.”
Speaking to The Jerusalem Post, Leiter said: “We are not looking for an escalation or a war with either Türkiye or Syria. But a red line was crossed.”
His remarks follow an Israeli air strike on the Abu al-Duhur Airbase in Idlib, Syria, which drew swift criticism from both the Syrian and Turkish governments.
Leiter continued:
“This was seen as a blatant Turkish violation of the understandings. Those who needed access to the intelligence received it. Those who needed to know what was going to happen knew. We made it clear that this was contrary to our understandings, and that is why Israel acted as it did.”
According to Leiter, the failure to heed these warnings led Israel on Tuesday to strike the Abu al-Duhur airbase, where Turkish forces were allegedly expected to arrive.
Syrian officials stated that the airbase was targeted by at least eight strikes, whilst subsequently released satellite imagery revealed damage to the runways.
Leiter stated that the Turkish move contradicted understandings reached during the Biden administration between Israel and the administration of Syria’s new leader, Ahmed al-Sharaa, which “froze the existing situation” in the country.
According to Leiter, these understandings were reaffirmed during a meeting held in Paris in January 2026, attended by Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani, US Special Envoy for Syria Tom Barrack, Leiter, then-National Security Council head Gil Reich, and Netanyahu’s military secretary Roman Gofman (now director of Mossad).
Leiter continued:
“This freeze means we do not act as long as the Turks do not act, and they do not force us to withdraw. It is also important to understand: whilst we maintain a security zone of only 78 square miles [approximately 202 square kilometres] in Syria, the Turks have, over the past few years, slowly annexed 3,500 square miles in northern Syria—roughly 5% of the country’s territory.”
According to The Jerusalem Post, with the exception of Tom Barrack, the US Special Envoy for Syria and Ambassador to Türkiye, senior US officials did not condemn the Israeli strike in Syria.
“The administration’s policy is that the previously agreed freeze should continue; that is why even Trump did not condemn the strike,” Leiter said.
Despite the tensions, Leiter emphasised Israel’s understanding that Syria is not seeking an escalation or war.
“It is clear to us that the Syrians do not want a confrontation with us. That is why we tell the Turks not to create conflict. There are multiple indications that the move planned by Türkiye was imposed on the Syrians,” the ambassador said.
Leiter argued that this apparent discord was also evident in the conflicting statements issued by Türkiye and Syria following the strike:
“Whilst Syrian Foreign Minister Shaibani acknowledged that a Turkish delegation was in Syria a few days before the strike, the Turks denied this. They need to resolve this matter between themselves.”
Leiter did not rule out a return to direct talks with Syria, as conducted in the past, but said conditions must be suitable.
“Negotiations can be resumed. We want to continue the face-to-face dialogue we previously conducted with the Syrians,” Leiter said.
Leiter added that Israel is not seeking a conflict with Türkiye and remains open to dialogue with Ankara.
“We are certainly open to dialogue with them, but judging by statements from senior officials in the country, they would prefer to wipe Israel off the map,” the Israeli diplomat said.
Alleging that Türkiye hosts Hamas leaders and “channels funds” to Hezbollah and Hamas, Leiter argued that it was inappropriate at this juncture for “Türkiye to begin expanding its influence in Lebanon and Syria.”
Leiter continued:
“Under current conditions, Türkiye cannot be a force that helps bring calm to the region. If only we could return to the state of relations between Jerusalem and Ankara from several decades ago. Back then, we would have been open to Türkiye’s influence in the region. But in an environment where Türkiye funds terrorist organisations, an increase in its regional influence makes no sense.”
Middle East
UAE halts trade with Iran after reported ballistic missile attack
The United Arab Emirates (UAE) has suspended commercial and economic relations with Iran after announcing that Tehran launched two ballistic missiles towards the Gulf state on Tuesday.
The UAE Ministry of Defence stated that air defence systems detected two ballistic missiles launched from Iran towards its territory.
The incident is considered Tehran’s first direct attack targeting the Gulf country since May.
The event prompted emergency telephone alerts to be sent to residents across the UAE.
The Ministry of Defence stated that assessments indicated the missiles targeted maritime traffic, adding that one missile fell into the sea outside UAE territorial waters and the other landed within territorial waters.
The UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs later announced that “in light of regional tensions that undermine regional and international peace and security, all trade, commercial relations, and financial transactions with Iran have been halted until further notice.”
Iran denied any involvement in the missile attacks. Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Esmail Baghaei said the claim “contradicts the principle of good neighbourliness and undermines ongoing efforts to strengthen trust among regional countries.”
The missile strikes occurred after a period in which the UAE and Tehran had sought to reduce tensions between the two countries.
The bulk of Tehran’s military retaliation targeted neighbouring Gulf states, which Iran accused of facilitating US-Israeli attacks.
The UAE bore the heaviest brunt of Iran’s attacks against US allies in the Gulf, sustaining nearly 3,000 missile and drone strikes.
Exhibiting the most hawkish stance against Tehran among its Gulf neighbours, the UAE responded with dozens of strikes against Iran.
However, tensions between the UAE and Iran eased following a memorandum of understanding signed between Washington and Tehran in June.
After the agreement began to unravel in early July, Iran largely redirected its attacks towards Bahrain, Kuwait, and Jordan.
In recent months, the UAE reactivated diplomatic and economic channels with Iran while simultaneously strengthening its military ties with Israel and the US.
Tuesday’s missile strikes threaten to disrupt the atmosphere of normalisation that had returned to the UAE.
While Dubai’s financial district was once again filling with bankers, certain commercial activities between the emirate and Iranian ports had resumed.
Furthermore, several Iranian flights to the UAE had quietly resumed.
UAE authorities had also begun permitting the return of approximately 20,000 Iranians holding UAE residency permits who were outside the country when the war began.
UAE officials have repeatedly emphasised that the country seeks to avoid being drawn further into a broader regional war.
Nevertheless, efforts to de-escalate tensions between the UAE and Iran have come under increasing strain in recent weeks.
This month, the UAE accused Iran of attacking vessels belonging to the Abu Dhabi National Oil Company in the Strait of Hormuz.
Middle East
US considers land blockade on Iran involving Türkiye and neighbours
To date, the US has imposed sanctions on thousands of Iranian individuals and legal entities; however, the Tehran administration continues to bypass these restrictions by rapidly establishing new structures to replace those that have been blocked.
In an assessment citing expert opinions published by the Reuters news agency, the current situation was likened to a game of whack-a-mole.
Whack-a-mole is known as a game of agility and reflexes based on the concept of hitting plastic figures with a mallet as they pop up unexpectedly from their holes.
Speaking to the agency, experts outlined other options that Washington could deploy to increase pressure on Tehran and raise the efficacy of sanctions.
Potential measures include restrictions targeting independent Chinese refineries, known as “teapots,” which account for a quarter of China’s oil refining capacity.
China purchases more than 80% of the oil exported by Iran, and these refineries process the vast majority of those shipments. Nevertheless, these facilities have limited ties to the US financial system, rendering them partially protected against secondary sanctions.
Another option on the table is increasing pressure on major Chinese banks. The US Department of the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) has applied secondary sanctions to small firms based in China and Hong Kong accused of executing billions of dollars in transactions for Iranian oil.
The agency has also warned two large banks, though it has not yet included them on its sanctions list.
While taking steps against major banks could deter other financial institutions, such actions carry the risk of Beijing enacting retaliatory measures. Washington seeks to avoid such tension ahead of a potential meeting between US President Donald Trump and Xi Jinping in September.
Experts are also evaluating the possibility of enforcing a land blockade with the participation of Iran’s neighbours: Iraq, Türkiye, Pakistan, Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan, and Armenia.
The Trump administration holds various leverage mechanisms against such nations, including Pakistan, which is requesting a $10 billion swap line, and Türkiye, which seeks to rejoin the F-35 program. Analysts express, however, that implementing such a blockade on the ground and generating the expected pressure inside Iran would be difficult.
Trump has repeatedly voiced threats to impose secondary tariffs on countries that trade with Iran; however, the US Supreme Court struck down the legal basis for such measures.
On the other hand, a anti-Russia “crushing” sanctions bill passed by the Senate includes new restrictions on Iran and grants Trump tariff authority.
This bill must also pass a vote in the House of Representatives; however, the text faces opposition from both Democrats and certain Republican lawmakers.
US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent announced in mid-August that Trump would disclose new measures designed to raise Iran’s economic isolation to an unprecedented level.
Stating that the US President had instructed the re-establishment of the maximum economic pressure policy against Tehran, Bessent said, “We have moved from Epic Fury to Economic Fury.”
Following Bessent’s statements, Bloomberg noted that Tehran has learned to manage the consequences of a naval blockade and thousands of restrictions. According to the agency’s analysts, the principal obstacle facing Washington is the close economic relationship between Iran and China; indeed, Beijing secures more than 90% of Iranian oil exports. Sanctioning the entities facilitating these purchases would directly reduce Tehran’s oil revenues, yet the US is avoiding this step for now.
Maritime traffic in the Strait of Hormuz remains restricted. On August 11, Iran conveyed its conditions for lifting the blockade in the strait to the US through intermediaries.
Tehran’s conditions included an end to threats and military actions, the lifting of the blockade and sanctions, compensation for damages, and the release of frozen assets.
On August 14, Trump claimed that following the end of the war with Iran, he would declare the Strait of Hormuz to be US territory. Responding to these statements, the Iranian Foreign Ministry warned that the Strait of Hormuz could not be seized “by a tweet, an aircraft carrier, an executive order, or a campaign speech.”
-
Interview6 days agoDaniel Davis warns US strategy fails against Iranian defense grid
-
Diplomacy6 days agoErdogan blocked CIA-Mossad plan for armed Kurdish uprising in Iran, report says
-
America6 days agoAIPAC super PAC pours millions into key Democratic primary races
-
Middle East6 days agoUS considers land blockade on Iran involving Türkiye and neighbours
-
Interview2 weeks agoQuincy Institute expert says the United States had no plan B
-
Opinion2 weeks agoThe U.S. Economy and NATO’s Function
-
Europe6 days agoUkraine uses British drones for long-range strikes deep inside Russia
-
America6 days agoUS-Brazil rift widens over proposed sanctions and trade tariffs
