America
The de facto US intervention in Haiti is under way
Haiti’s unelected prime minister, Ariel Henry, said on Monday he would step down following the appointment of a transitional council and interim prime minister after leading the Caribbean country since the assassination of its last president in 2021.
Under Henry’s rule, armed gangs have greatly increased their wealth, influence and territory, leading to the establishment of a United Nations-backed security mission led by Kenya.
Last week, Henry travelled to Kenya to seek support. But the conflict escalated dramatically in his absence, leaving the 74-year-old neurosurgeon prime minister stranded in the US territory of Puerto Rico.
“My government will resign as soon as a (transitional) council is formed. I want to thank the Haitian people for this opportunity,” Henry said in a late-night video address.
Haitians celebrated in the streets after Henry’s statement went viral on social media, urging all Haitians to remain calm and do everything in their power to restore peace and stability as quickly as possible.
Henry’s resignation agreed with the US in Puerto Rico
Reuters quoted a senior US official as saying that Henry was free to stay in Puerto Rico or travel elsewhere, but that security in Haiti needed to improve before he could return home. The official said the resignation was agreed on Friday, revealing US involvement in the process.
Henry will be replaced by a Presidential Council of seven voting members, including two observers and representatives of various political coalitions, business, civil society and a religious community.
The council has been tasked with quickly appointing an interim prime minister; no one who wants to run in Haiti’s next elections will be able to do so.
The country has been without elected representatives since early 2023, and the next elections will be the first since 2016. Henry, who is seen by many Haitians as corrupt, has repeatedly postponed the elections, saying that security must first be restored.
The US brings the countries of the region together
Regional leaders met in nearby Jamaica on Monday to discuss the framework for the political transition process, which the US last week called for to be ‘accelerated’ as armed gangs try to overthrow the government.
US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said on Monday that the council would be tasked with addressing the ‘immediate needs’ of Haitians, ensuring the deployment of the security mission and creating the security conditions necessary for free elections.
Henry’s resignation comes amid regional talks on his request to join an international force to help police fight gangs whose brutal turf wars have fuelled the humanitarian crisis, cut off food supplies and driven hundreds of thousands from their homes.
Uncertainty of transfer in financing of ‘aid’ to Haiti
US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said on Monday that the US would provide $100 million for the force and $33 million in humanitarian aid, bringing the total US commitment to the force to $300 million.
But it was unclear how long it would take for the funds to be approved by lawmakers and transferred. A UN spokesman said that as of Monday, less than $11 million had been paid into the UN’s special trust fund and that no new contributions had been made since Haiti declared a state of emergency on 3 March.
Mexico’s foreign minister added that the country had contributed an unspecified amount of funds and called for further action to stop arms trafficking to Haiti.
Many Haitians inside and outside Haiti are wary of international intervention after previous UN missions left behind a devastating cholera epidemic and sexual abuse scandals that have never been resolved.
Gangs’ weapons come from the US
The UN believes Haitian gangs have amassed large arsenals, much of it made up of weapons smuggled from the United States.
A state of emergency was declared in Haiti earlier this month after Jimmy ‘Barbecue’ Cherizier, the leader of an alliance of armed groups, said they would unite and overthrow Henry, as clashes damaged communications and led to two prison breaks.
The UN estimates that more than 362,000 people, half of them children, have been internally displaced and thousands have been killed in the conflict since 2021, with widespread rape, torture and kidnapping for ransom.
The Financial Times writes that many of the country’s gangs are believed to receive significant support from Haiti’s elite. According to InSight Crime, which investigates criminal networks in Latin America, G-9 received half of its income from the government of President Moïse before he was assassinated in 2021.
Gang leader’s ‘bloody revolution’ statement
Cherizier, the leader of the G-9 gang in Haiti and a former policeman, threatened to go after hotel owners who hid politicians or collaborated with Henry.
Barbecue’ also demanded that the country’s next leader be elected by the people and live in Haiti with his family. Many influential Haitian politicians live abroad.
“We are not in a peaceful revolution. We are in a bloody revolution in the country because this system is an apartheid system, a bad system,” he said.
According to the FT, in the vast slums under Cherizier’s control, where there are no state services such as sewers, electricity or running water, there are murals depicting him as the Argentine revolutionary Che Guevara.
Who is the leader of the ‘Barbecue’ Cherizier gang?
A Guardian correspondent makes a similar observation. The gang leader, who claims to present himself in interviews as a “God-fearing Caribbean Robin Hood”, has paid tribute to freedom fighters such as Fidel Castro, Thomas Sankara and Malcolm X. When they met last year, he told New Yorker reporter Jon Lee Anderson: “I like Martin Luther King too. But he didn’t like to fight with guns, and I fight with guns.
In an interview with Vice in 2022, Chérizier described his favela army as ‘a socio-political structure and a force that fights for the defenceless’.
For some time now, ‘Barbecue’ has frequently taken Western media organisations into the areas under his control and given interviews.
Cherizier, the youngest of eight children whose father died when he was five, has said he was inspired by François Duvalier, the brutal dictator who ruled Haiti from 1957 to 1971. But ‘Barbecue’ claims he would ‘never slaughter’ people of the same social class as himself.
According to the UN, gangs like the G-9 now control about 80 per cent of the capital, Port-au-Prince. They extort money from businesses and kidnap residents, rich and poor, for ransom, while fighting each other for territory. With only 9,000 members, the police force is understrength.
Despite his efforts to portray himself as a pro-people politician, Cherizier is accused by the UN of taking part in several massacres, some of which took place while he was still a police officer. In one of them, more than 71 people were killed, 400 houses set on fire and at least seven women raped by gangs in the Port-au-Prince slum of La Saline in 2018.
As well as Cherizier and the G-9 gang, Johnson Andrï, known as ‘Izo’, and the 5 Seconds gang have also made a name for themselves. There are an estimated 200 gangs in Haiti, 23 of which are believed to operate in the Port-au-Prince area.
America
US national debt hits record $40 trillion as borrowing accelerates
The US national debt has reached a record $40 trillion as borrowing expanded at a historic pace.
The development has heightened investor concern over the state of US public finances, despite Donald Trump’s pledge to bring spending under control.
Gross federal debt crossed the threshold on Tuesday, according to Treasury Department data published on Wednesday.
Calculations by the Financial Times show that debt climbed by $3 trillion over the past year, registering the fastest rate of increase in history outside the pandemic period.
Marc Goldwein, senior policy director at the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget think tank, said:
“This is like a giant, flashing ‘check engine’ light. It doesn’t mean your engine will melt down tomorrow, but it is a clear sign that things have gotten quite out of hand. And it’s not just the size of the number; it’s the speed at which we’ve reached it.”
The US national debt has surged over the past two decades, climbing from below $6 trillion at the start of the century (about $12 trillion in 2026 dollar terms) as massive public spending during the financial crisis and the Covid-19 pandemic compounded enormous budget deficits.
In the past 10 years alone, the total debt load has doubled. Debt held by the public—a key gauge tracked by markets that excludes intra-governmental holdings—now exceeds $32 trillion, roughly equal to the size of the US economy.
The non-partisan Congressional Budget Office expects debt held by the public to surpass the post-Second World War record of 106% of GDP by the end of the decade and to reach 120% by 2036.
As borrowing increased, investors began demanding a higher premium to hold US bonds.
This has driven interest rates higher, leaving debt servicing costs larger than national defence spending.
The situation has created unease in Washington. On Wednesday, prior to the release of the debt data, the Treasury Department announced it would double its buybacks of long-term government debt in a bid to halt a recent sell-off.
Last week, the US paid its highest borrowing costs since 2001 to sell 30-year bonds.
Wednesday’s 10-year Treasury auction produced the highest yields since 2007 as investors fretted over the scale of the debt.
Ed Yardeni, president of Yardeni Research, said: “That is an awful lot of money being borrowed. It is going to feed on itself with interest expenses. If interest rates rise because of concerns about the high debt load, that will lead to even more interest expense. It’s a vicious cycle.”
Trump returned to office in 2025 promising to rein in “wasteful” government spending.
Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent pledged to reduce the budget deficit to 3% of GDP by the end of Trump’s term.
However, measures to trim spending in some areas were offset by broad tax cuts in the president’s signature 2025 fiscal legislation, the “One Big Beautiful Bill”, which will add more than $4 trillion to the debt by 2034.
Trump also requested an increase of more than 50% in annual defence spending, seeking $1.5 trillion in the largest budget request in US history.
The deficit fell to 5.9% of GDP in 2025 from 6.3% the previous year. The CBO expects the deficit to decline to 5.8% this year. The US national debt comprises years of accumulated deficits compounded by interest charges.
Analysts noted that both US political parties missed opportunities during periods of economic expansion to take significant steps toward curbing spending.
Calculations by the Congressional Joint Economic Committee indicate that over the past year, total national debt grew by roughly $7.9 billion a day, or approximately $91,000 per second.
Budget specialists said they hoped crossing the $40 trillion threshold would spur politicians from both parties to take meaningful steps to bring borrowing back under control.
Michael Peterson, head of the Peterson Foundation, a think tank dedicated to returning debt to a sustainable trajectory, said:
“My hope is that this serves as a national alarm and wake-up call to address our fiscal future. If we keep borrowing this much, we are going to face a day of reckoning in financial markets… People will wake up one day and decide: ‘You know what? I’m more worried about the United States now. I’m going to demand higher interest rates, or I’m going to put my money somewhere else.'”
America
Independent US oil firms set to sign output deals in Venezuela
Several independent US oil producers are expected to sign production contracts with Venezuela’s state-owned oil company in the coming days.
According to sources who spoke to Politico on condition of anonymity because details of the event have not yet been made public, a signing ceremony involving several small US producers and Petróleos de Venezuela (PDVSA) was scheduled to take place in Houston on Tuesday (18 August) evening.
One source said Venezuela’s oil minister and the head of PDVSA’s exploration division were scheduled to attend the ceremony. Another source added that the event could be postponed until Wednesday morning.
The White House, which did not immediately respond to a request for comment, was not expected to be officially involved in Tuesday’s ceremony.
However, the development follows a visit by senior officials to Caracas in late April, where they signed memorandums of understanding that established the framework for formal production agreements in the country, which holds some of the world’s largest oil reserves.
Despite the tailwind provided by high crude prices, negotiations had stalled over key details such as dispute resolution, while officials in Caracas contended with two devastating earthquakes in June that claimed thousands of lives.
Venezuela’s interim president, Delcy Rodríguez, announced new regulations last month that offer more favourable fiscal terms to international oil companies.
According to an industry source close to the negotiations, the signing of the contracts comes after the Trump administration renewed pressure on Rodríguez to ensure PDVSA concludes agreements with American firms.
The source said these efforts included outreach by Secretary of State Marco Rubio to discuss how increased oil revenues could assist the country following the devastating earthquake earlier this summer.
The source added:
“Delcy reached a renewed awareness that increased oil production is the way to rebuild after the earthquakes and to achieve what her government wants to do for the people suffering from the earthquakes.”
David Goldwyn, president of the international energy consultancy Goldwyn Global Strategies, said investments from independent oil producers and boosting output from existing fields would serve as the “primary source of new oil growth for the next few years” for Venezuela.
“While the oil majors are trying to buy time to see how the political situation clarifies and whether they can cherry-pick the best assets, independent companies can de-risk their projects in the short term,” Goldwyn said.
However, Goldwyn noted that these investments would add no more than 300,000 barrels per day to the country’s oil production over the next year, falling far short of the multi-million-barrel increase that officials in Caracas and Washington wish to see.
“Until the framework improves, electricity is restored, and the political picture becomes clear, all we will see is incremental production growth,” the strategist said.
America
US-Brazil rift widens over proposed sanctions and trade tariffs
Diplomatic tensions between the two countries remain at a peak as the US government considers new sanctions targeting a judge on Brazil’s Supreme Court.
According to sources familiar with the matter who spoke to the Financial Times (FT), the Trump administration is evaluating new measures against Justice Alexandre de Moraes, whom it sanctioned last year on human rights grounds before subsequently rescinding that decision.
Washington’s renewed focus on the magistrate threatens to widen the rift between Brazil and the US across trade and political spheres, casting a shadow over upcoming elections in Latin America’s largest nation.
A little over a year ago, De Moraes was subjected to sanctions under the Global Magnitsky Act. US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent accused him at the time of engaging in a “repressive censorship campaign, arbitrary detentions that violate human rights, and politicized prosecutions,” including measures directed at former Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro.
Bolsonaro, an ally of Donald Trump, was sentenced last year to 27 years in prison for plotting a coup.
However, sanctions targeting the judge, his wife, and a company owned by his family were lifted in December following a meeting and phone conversations between Trump and his Brazilian counterpart, Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva.
According to a source familiar with the matter who requested anonymity, US interest in De Moraes was revived partly due to a case that ignited a debate over press freedom in Brazil.
The judge authorized police raids against a journalist and two sources as part of an investigation into media coverage concerning a Supreme Court justice and his family.
De Moraes defended the action, arguing that the information in question had been illegally obtained and disclosed, thereby endangering the safety of the justice’s family.
The judge gained global prominence several years ago following a public conflict with Elon Musk, which briefly led to the billionaire’s X platform being blocked in Brazil.
Supporters say he “helped protect Brazilian democracy against a wave of misinformation.”
However, critics, including the Trump administration, view him as violating free speech rights.
“He went after the president’s supporters. Not just Elon Musk, but MAGA supporters in Brazil as well. Even if we want to build good relations with Brazil, it is clear that this man is an adversary,” said a person familiar with the US government’s thinking.
Another person stated that the reimposition of Magnitsky sanctions is “under evaluation,” noting that such sanctions entail the freezing of US-based assets and a prohibition on American companies and individuals conducting business with targeted parties.
While it remains unclear whether or when a decision will be reached, any such move would intensify an escalating retaliatory spiral between the two most populous countries in the Americas.
Tensions initially erupted more than a year ago when Trump imposed a 50% tariff on Brazil while demanding that prosecution proceedings against Bolsonaro be dropped.
That tariff was subsequently invalidated by the US Supreme Court.
A brief period of de-escalation since then has drawn to a close, with the US applying a 25% import tariff on numerous Brazilian products in July.
Last month, Brazil denied entry to two Trump envoys over concerns regarding potential interference in its upcoming October elections. Washington rejects those allegations.
Lula, who is seeking re-election for a fourth presidential term, suggested that the US might act to support his main opponent, Senator Flavio Bolsonaro, the jailed former leader’s son.
The 80-year-old president has also engaged in a sharp public exchange of words with US Secretary of State Marco Rubio.
On Sunday, thousands of supporters gathered to welcome Lula at a stadium in Sao Bernardo do Campo, an industrial suburb of Sao Paulo, for the official launch of his election campaign.
Lula originally achieved prominence in the area during the late 1970s as a union leader heading metalworkers’ strikes.
Speaking at the venue, Lula said, “I thank the working men and women of this country who believed that someone like themselves could achieve more than someone different from them. As long as I am alive, I will not stop fighting, and I will not allow the right [to prevail].”
-
Interview6 days agoDaniel Davis warns US strategy fails against Iranian defense grid
-
Diplomacy6 days agoErdogan blocked CIA-Mossad plan for armed Kurdish uprising in Iran, report says
-
America6 days agoAIPAC super PAC pours millions into key Democratic primary races
-
Middle East6 days agoUS considers land blockade on Iran involving Türkiye and neighbours
-
Interview2 weeks agoQuincy Institute expert says the United States had no plan B
-
Opinion2 weeks agoThe U.S. Economy and NATO’s Function
-
Europe6 days agoUkraine uses British drones for long-range strikes deep inside Russia
-
America6 days agoUS-Brazil rift widens over proposed sanctions and trade tariffs
