Connect with us

DIPLOMACY

Iran-US World Cup clash

Published

on

Tensions are set to rise between the US and Iran, the two contention countries in the West and in the Middle East, not only in the political realm but now even in sports. There are several disputation controversies between them, but this time they brought sports to politics. The US and Iran have been bitter ideological foes for more than 40 years, cutting diplomatic relations in the wake of the 1979 Islamic Revolution.

Political antagonism further degenerated when the US Soccer Federation briefly displayed Iran’s national flag on social media without the emblem of the Islamic Republic, terming the move in support of protests in Iran ahead of the two nations’ World Cup match on late Tuesday.

In the posts, the Iranian flag icon was missing its Islamic Republic emblem and only showed its red, white and green stripes. The US Soccer Federation said it had changed the flag for 24 hours to show support for the women in Iran fighting for basic human rights. There have been nationwide protests in Iran since the death of Mahsa Amini, a 22 years old woman in custody on September 16. She was detained for allegedly not wearing a proper headscarf and since then Iranian people took to the streets, demanding more freedom for women.

However, the Federation said they intended to change the flag back, but it immediately earned reactions.

Iran reacted swiftly on the use of an incorrect flag

Iran has strongly condemned the decision to use an incorrect flag, which it said violated the statutes of the Federation Internationale de Football Association (FIFA), world football’s global governing body. The Iranian Football Federation also lodged a protest with the (FIFA), demanding sanctions against the United States team. It also called for the US to be disqualified from the World Cup for its action.

A US soccer federation screenshot displaying Iran’s national flag on social media without the emblem of the Islamic Republic. (AP)

“By posting a distorted image of the flag of the Islamic Republic of Iran on its official account, the US football team breached the FIFA charter, for which a 10-game suspension is the appropriate penalty. Team USA should be kicked out of the World Cup 2022,”semi-official state news agency in Iran (Tasnim) tweeted.

Safia Allah Faghanpour, a legal adviser to Iran’s soccer federation also said that respecting a nation’s flag is an accepted international practice that all other nations must emulate.

Fagahanpour also said that measures taken regarding the “Islamic Republic of Iran flag are against the law” of FIFA competitions and the US must be held responsible.

US coach apologizes for depicting a modified version of Iran’s flag

The United States coach Gregg Berhalter apologized for the furor triggered by a social media post depicting a modified version of Iran’s flag and said they were not part of this as they are focusing more on today’s (Tuesday) match.

USA’s coach Gregg Berhalter gives a press conference at the Qatar National Convention Center (QNCC) in Doha (AFP)

The US players and coaching staff had been unaware about social posts regarding the flag change. “We’re not focused on those outside things and all we can do is apologizing on behalf of the players and the staff, but it’s not something that we were a part of,” Berhalter told newsmen.

“We had no idea what US Soccer put out. The staff, the players, we had no idea. For us our focus is on this match and I don’t want to sound aloof, or we’re not caring by saying that.”

To ease tension, the US State Department said it had no involvement in the US Soccer Federation’s decision to remove the “Islamic Republic” emblem from the Iranian flag in its social posts.

“We look forward to a peaceful and competitive match on the field. The United States continues to find ways to support the Iranian people in the face of state-sponsored violence against women and a brutal crackdown against peaceful protestors,” a State Department spokesperson told CNBC in an emailed statement.

Flag row and crucial football game

The US and Iran are set to meet in a crucial game that already has drawn political undertones. The loser, if there is any, most likely will be eliminated from the tournament. It is in the knockout stages. There were three matches and the last one between Iran-US was in the World Cup in 1998, with the Iranians securing a 2-1 victory. But in the 2022 World Cup, the Iranian side started off their campaign poorly after the 6-2 thrashing by England, only to put on a redeeming, dominant display against Wales, winning 2-0.

Meanwhile, the flag has also become a point of contention among the Iranian football fans as well. The pro-government supporters waved the flag and went on shouting against those demonstrating over Amin’s death. While other Iranian fans waved Iran’s lion and sun flag, an emblem of its former ruler, the late Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi in support of ongoing protests in Iran.

A female Iranian fan was also removed from a match for holding Amin’s T-shirt and some others were arrested by the Qatari police for showing support to the protests in Iran. The arrest was made in the line with the FIFA’s officials fan’s guideline which bans “promoting any political, offensive and/or discriminatory messages.”

Difficult to separate sports from politics

Indeed, fans don’t want politics brought into any sports, especially in football, a favorite sport to millions of people. Every country must refrain from introducing politics into sports because the lovers want sporting prowess to be pure no matter in football or cricket, or basketball, or gymnastics, or etc… It is rational to say that sports are, at a baseline, the ultimate meritocracy. In sports we also have a loser and a winner, but the outcome should never be politicalized.

Throughout history, the sport has generally been viewed as a form of entertainment, separate from serious matters of politics. Sport is often considered as a phenomenon that is not related to politics, and many see sports as a way of escaping politics.

But in this tournament “World Cup 2022” the football has been intrinsically-linked with the political games, where even players and fans are now engaged in political activities on the ground. The Iranian football players did not sing the national anthem and fans are separated between pro-and-anti-protests. This itself is a political move, and an indication that politics is difficult to separate from sports. Today’s match between US and Iran is especially significant for both sides, not only to qualify for the final 16 of the World Cup, but because of the rivalry between Washington and Tehran.

Many people also watched Saudi Arabia and Morocco’s victories over Argentina and Belgium, respectively, as political wins. We must learn to watch sports with no eye toward politics. There is need to remember that politics have appeared in the Olympic Games many times in the past several years, but yet the stated goal of the Olympic Movement was to keep sports and politics separate.  This is what FIFA also needs to do, and the fans must also learn ethics in sports.

DIPLOMACY

Hungary withdraws from ICC following Netanyahu visit

Published

on

Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban’s chief of staff, Gergely Gulyas, told the state news agency MTI on Thursday that the Hungarian government had decided to withdraw from the International Criminal Court (ICC).

The Orban government announced this decision shortly after Israeli leader Benjamin Netanyahu, for whom the ICC had issued an arrest warrant, arrived in Hungary for an official visit.

Netanyahu began his four-day trip to Hungary today. Hungarian Defense Minister Kristof Szalay-Bobrovniczky shared photos of the pair’s meeting at the airport on his Facebook account, saying, “Welcome to Budapest, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu!”

Hungarian Prime Minister Orban was among the first to condemn the ICC’s announcement that it had “reasonable grounds” to believe Netanyahu bore criminal responsibility for war crimes, including “starvation as a method of warfare.”

Calling it “outrageous, cynical, and utterly unacceptable,” Orbán added that his friend’s freedom would be guaranteed during his visit.

Continue Reading

DIPLOMACY

US harms its own reputation with trade wars, Wang Yi says

Published

on

Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi began a three-day official visit to Russia on Monday to meet with senior Russian officials, including his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov and President Vladimir Putin.

Wang assessed the current state of world affairs in an exclusive and comprehensive interview with Sputnik.

Commenting on current efforts to reach a peace agreement in Ukraine, Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi told Sputnik, “China is ready to play a constructive role in the settlement together with the international community, especially with the countries of the Global South.”

Wang added, “We advocate for the elimination of the causes of the crisis through dialogue and negotiations, and ultimately for reaching a fair, long-term, binding peace agreement acceptable to all parties. This agreement will make it possible to ensure truly lasting peace and stability in Eurasia and throughout the world.”

Wang stated that China has advocated for a political settlement in Ukraine “from the first day” of the crisis, emphasizing that his country’s stance “coincides with the expectations of the majority of countries in the world community.”

Referring to President Trump’s peace initiative, Wang noted that Russia and President Putin have always been open to dialogue, saying that even small steps towards peace are “constructive” and “worth taking.”

“Peace cannot be achieved by lying down. You have to work and achieve it through hard work,” the minister stated.

Touching upon President Trump’s current efforts to reset relations with Moscow, Wang said that steps towards normalization in Russia-US relations are “good for stabilizing the balance of power between the major powers and instill optimism in the troubled international environment.”

Wang assessed, “The modern world faces a growing deficit of certainty. In these conditions, major countries must fulfill their obligations, acting as stabilizing factors in an unpredictable world.”

Furthermore, Wang stated, “Russia and the United States, as leading world powers and permanent members of the UN Security Council, bear a significant share of responsibility for peace and tranquility on the planet, especially when it comes to global strategic stability.”

Commenting on trade wars during a potential new Trump term, the Chinese Foreign Minister said, “Instead of solving its own problems, Washington tries in every possible way to evade responsibility and shift the blame onto others, resorting to customs tariffs, even blackmail and ultimatums.”

“The US itself is sick, but forces others to take medicine,” Wang said, stressing that Trump’s trade wars “will cause serious damage not only to the global market and trade order but also to the reputation of the US itself.”

The minister added, “‘America First’ cannot be achieved through American bullying, especially by harming the interests of other countries.”

Highlighting that Trump’s use of the fentanyl issue as a pretext to justify doubling tariffs “has no basis whatsoever,” Wang said: “Fentanyl abuse is a problem that Americans themselves must solve. China pursues a tough and comprehensive anti-drug policy, unlike any other country in the world. Yet, guided by the principles of humanism, we have helped the US in every possible way. How did they respond? Not with kindness, but with evil and the groundless tightening of customs tariffs.”

Commenting on the nuclear issue and the Trump administration’s recent talks on arsenal reduction, Wang said the US is the central actor in global strategic insecurity and should reduce the weight of nuclear weapons in its national security strategy and take other steps to reduce risks.

Wang added that US policies of “nuclear sharing” and “extended nuclear deterrence,” efforts to build a global missile defense system, and the deployment of US land-based medium-range missiles and other strategic weapons near the borders of other countries “undermine” global strategic security.

“We call on Washington to make serious efforts to reduce the risks of nuclear war and achieve the goal of ridding the planet of nuclear weapons,” Wang urged.

The Chinese Foreign Minister highlighted three characteristic features of the special relationship between the Eurasian neighbors:

— “Eternal friends, never enemies” (the basic principle of the 2001 Russia-China Treaty on Good Neighbourliness, Friendship and Cooperation).
— “Equality and mutually beneficial cooperation”.
— “Non-alignment, non-conflict and non-orientation towards third parties”.

Furthermore, Wang commented, “China-Russia relations do not pose any threat to others, nor are they subject to external interference. These relations are not only a modern example of a new type of relationship between major powers but also an important stabilizing factor in a turbulent world.”

Additionally, commenting on the 80th anniversary of the end of hostilities this year, Wang said that China and Russia, which “served as the main battlefronts in Asia and Europe in the brutal battle between good and evil” during World War II, were “the main forces in the joint struggle against fascism and militarism.”

Wang added that the two countries must “protect the historical truth about the countless victims of the war and oppose any attempts and actions to deny, distort, or falsify its history.”

Continue Reading

DIPLOMACY

Meta fined significantly in Türkiye for defying content removal orders

Published

on

A spokesperson told Politico that Facebook’s parent company, Meta, has been fined a “significant amount” for failing to comply with Turkish authorities’ orders to restrict content.

Politico reports, “The Turkish government is ordering the suspension of social media accounts sharing information about widespread protests following the arrest of Istanbul [Metropolitan] Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s main political rival.”

“We pushed back on the Turkish government’s requests to restrict content that clearly served the public interest, and as a result, we were fined by them,” the spokesperson stated, declining to reveal the specific amount of the fine.

The spokesperson added, “The government’s demands to restrict online speech, alongside threats to shut down online services, are serious and have a chilling effect on people’s ability to express themselves.”

According to Meta’s transparency report, in 2024, the company received 5,677 content removal requests from Turkish authorities, with 4,199 originating from the BTK (Information and Communication Technologies Authority). The report indicated that Meta complied with 40% of these requests.

Conversely, Elon Musk’s company X, which largely adhered to the orders and suspended numerous accounts after the protests began, stated it was “fighting the Turkish government’s orders to protect freedom of expression.” This included appealing to the Turkish Constitutional Court regarding an order to block 126 accounts.

However, a document reviewed by Politico indicates that this particular order predates the recent wave of protests by several weeks.

Continue Reading

MOST READ

Turkey