Connect with us

America

Afghanistan demand US to return $3.5b in frozen Afghan assets

Published

on

The Taliban authorities had once again called for the release of Afghan central bank’s assets which Washington intends to use the funds to compensate victims of the 9/11 attacks.

The fund is $7 billion and the US President Joe Biden signed an executive order last year to equally split it between humanitarian efforts for the Afghan people and the relatives of September 11, 2021. The money was deposited in New York before the Taliban takeover in Kabul in August 2021.

Mr. Biden said his administration is going to freeze the money to prevent it from falling to the Taliban hand and asked the judge for permission to move $3.5 billion to a Swiss-based trust fund.

“The Afghan Fund will protect, preserve and make targeted disbursements of that $3.5 billion to help provide greater stability to the Afghan economy,” the US Treasury said, but the Taliban rejected and demanded the return of billions of dollars held in the US and elsewhere.

US judge spoke against seizing Afghanistan’s $3.5b

A federal judge in New York said that the families of victims of the 9/11 terror attacks cannot seize $3.5 billion in Afghan central bank reserves.

US District Judge George Daniels in the Southern District of New York said the court lacked the jurisdiction to seize the money from the central bank of Afghanistan.

“The judgment creditors are entitled to collect on their default judgments and be made whole for the worst terrorist attack in our nation’s history, but they cannot do so with the funds of the central bank of Afghanistan,” Mr. Daniels said.

“The Taliban — not the former Islamic Republic of Afghanistan or the Afghan people — must pay for the Taliban’s liability in the 9/11 attacks,” the judge said in a 30 pages statement.

Mr. Daniels further went on saying that he was “constitutionally restrained” from awarding the assets to the families because it would effectively mean recognizing the Taliban as the legitimate government of Afghanistan.

No countries have so far recognized the Taliban government but some countries have reopened their diplomatic missions and the Taliban had repeatedly called on the world to resume its activities and work with the new government.

Taliban happy with US judge’s decision

The Taliban authorities have welcomed the US court ruling and called on Washington to return the money back to Afghanistan without any further delay.

“These assets belong to Afghanistan. There should be no excuse to freeze or to not return them to the people of Afghanistan,” Bilal Karimi, Deputy Government Spokesman, told AFP.

“They must be returned without any terms and conditions.”

Last year when Biden issued an executive order to seize the funds, thousands of Afghans took to the streets in the capital city Kabul and other provinces to protest against freeze of the country’s assets, demanding the release of Afghans assets.

“Our seized money should be handed over. Give our money back” the protestors were chanting at that time. They also said that this money belongs to the ordinary Afghans and it has nothing to do with the Taliban or the previous government.

Besides freezing Afghan money, the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund (IMF) had also stopped its funds to Afghanistan under control of the Taliban that had impacted the economy severely.

After the disintegration of the internationally-supported-and-backed republic government, top officials including President Ashraf Ghani and its acting governor for the central bank fled the country, leaving behind these billions of money.

Now the Taliban claimed a right to the money, but it lacked legal recognition to own them at a time when country’s economy already collapsed leading to mass starvation and unprecedented poverty.

$4.6b needed to help 23.7m Afghans

The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UNOCHA) has called for immediate support and humanitarian funding to assist 23.7 million people in Afghanistan.

“More reasons why early humanitarian funding is critical in Afghanistan. Aid agencies can sustain winterization activities, support families during the planting season, prepare for flood response ahead of rains. $4.6b is needed in 2023 to assist 23.7 M people,” UNOCHA said in a tweet post.

Many exports strongly believe that the frozen money will definitely help Afghan people in such a time when their economy is deteriorated. They say there are several NGOs and other local institutions where the world can work with in order to support the needy people. They also suggest finding a legal framework to engage with the Taliban because they are now the ruler and the people need support.

There is an understanding that such funding will not resolve the deeper structural problems that have sent the country’s economy spiraling into ruin, but at least it will prevent further decline and help the ordinary Afghans survive. Billions of dollars showered in Afghanistan in the past 20 years, but nothing has changed significantly. During these years, the Afghan economy was drastically and artificially bolstered by enormous influxes of foreign aid and security assistance from the Western countries.

Ghani among top gift givers to Bidens in 2021

It is worth mentioning that people were in need of humanitarian support during the republic government as well. There were millions of people who needed support and the government itself was run by the foreign funds.

(Left), former Afghan President Ashraf Ghani and (right) President Joe Biden

More than half of the Afghan population were under the poverty line and this was also admitted by Ghani himself. But despite economic issues, Mr. Ghani, were among the top gift givers to President Biden and his family in 2021.

Ghani and his wife gave Biden and first lady Jill Biden silk rugs worth an estimated $28,800, and this happened two months ahead of the fall of the republic government. Mr. Ghani also handed the US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin a carpet valued at $2,650 in March, according to US media report.

In June the same year, Abdullah Abdullah, the former head of the high council for national reconciliation also gifted Biden a brass and lapis lazuli jewelry box, worth an estimated $1,150.

 

America

US national debt hits record $40 trillion as borrowing accelerates

Published

on

The US national debt has reached a record $40 trillion as borrowing expanded at a historic pace.

The development has heightened investor concern over the state of US public finances, despite Donald Trump’s pledge to bring spending under control.

Gross federal debt crossed the threshold on Tuesday, according to Treasury Department data published on Wednesday.

Calculations by the Financial Times show that debt climbed by $3 trillion over the past year, registering the fastest rate of increase in history outside the pandemic period.

Marc Goldwein, senior policy director at the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget think tank, said:

“This is like a giant, flashing ‘check engine’ light. It doesn’t mean your engine will melt down tomorrow, but it is a clear sign that things have gotten quite out of hand. And it’s not just the size of the number; it’s the speed at which we’ve reached it.”

The US national debt has surged over the past two decades, climbing from below $6 trillion at the start of the century (about $12 trillion in 2026 dollar terms) as massive public spending during the financial crisis and the Covid-19 pandemic compounded enormous budget deficits.

In the past 10 years alone, the total debt load has doubled. Debt held by the public—a key gauge tracked by markets that excludes intra-governmental holdings—now exceeds $32 trillion, roughly equal to the size of the US economy.

The non-partisan Congressional Budget Office expects debt held by the public to surpass the post-Second World War record of 106% of GDP by the end of the decade and to reach 120% by 2036.

As borrowing increased, investors began demanding a higher premium to hold US bonds.

This has driven interest rates higher, leaving debt servicing costs larger than national defence spending.

The situation has created unease in Washington. On Wednesday, prior to the release of the debt data, the Treasury Department announced it would double its buybacks of long-term government debt in a bid to halt a recent sell-off.

Last week, the US paid its highest borrowing costs since 2001 to sell 30-year bonds.

Wednesday’s 10-year Treasury auction produced the highest yields since 2007 as investors fretted over the scale of the debt.

Ed Yardeni, president of Yardeni Research, said: “That is an awful lot of money being borrowed. It is going to feed on itself with interest expenses. If interest rates rise because of concerns about the high debt load, that will lead to even more interest expense. It’s a vicious cycle.”

Trump returned to office in 2025 promising to rein in “wasteful” government spending.

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent pledged to reduce the budget deficit to 3% of GDP by the end of Trump’s term.

However, measures to trim spending in some areas were offset by broad tax cuts in the president’s signature 2025 fiscal legislation, the “One Big Beautiful Bill”, which will add more than $4 trillion to the debt by 2034.

Trump also requested an increase of more than 50% in annual defence spending, seeking $1.5 trillion in the largest budget request in US history.

The deficit fell to 5.9% of GDP in 2025 from 6.3% the previous year. The CBO expects the deficit to decline to 5.8% this year. The US national debt comprises years of accumulated deficits compounded by interest charges.

Analysts noted that both US political parties missed opportunities during periods of economic expansion to take significant steps toward curbing spending.

Calculations by the Congressional Joint Economic Committee indicate that over the past year, total national debt grew by roughly $7.9 billion a day, or approximately $91,000 per second.

Budget specialists said they hoped crossing the $40 trillion threshold would spur politicians from both parties to take meaningful steps to bring borrowing back under control.

Michael Peterson, head of the Peterson Foundation, a think tank dedicated to returning debt to a sustainable trajectory, said:

“My hope is that this serves as a national alarm and wake-up call to address our fiscal future. If we keep borrowing this much, we are going to face a day of reckoning in financial markets… People will wake up one day and decide: ‘You know what? I’m more worried about the United States now. I’m going to demand higher interest rates, or I’m going to put my money somewhere else.'”

Continue Reading

America

Independent US oil firms set to sign output deals in Venezuela

Published

on

Several independent US oil producers are expected to sign production contracts with Venezuela’s state-owned oil company in the coming days.

According to sources who spoke to Politico on condition of anonymity because details of the event have not yet been made public, a signing ceremony involving several small US producers and Petróleos de Venezuela (PDVSA) was scheduled to take place in Houston on Tuesday (18 August) evening.

One source said Venezuela’s oil minister and the head of PDVSA’s exploration division were scheduled to attend the ceremony. Another source added that the event could be postponed until Wednesday morning.

The White House, which did not immediately respond to a request for comment, was not expected to be officially involved in Tuesday’s ceremony.

However, the development follows a visit by senior officials to Caracas in late April, where they signed memorandums of understanding that established the framework for formal production agreements in the country, which holds some of the world’s largest oil reserves.

Despite the tailwind provided by high crude prices, negotiations had stalled over key details such as dispute resolution, while officials in Caracas contended with two devastating earthquakes in June that claimed thousands of lives.

Venezuela’s interim president, Delcy Rodríguez, announced new regulations last month that offer more favourable fiscal terms to international oil companies.

According to an industry source close to the negotiations, the signing of the contracts comes after the Trump administration renewed pressure on Rodríguez to ensure PDVSA concludes agreements with American firms.

The source said these efforts included outreach by Secretary of State Marco Rubio to discuss how increased oil revenues could assist the country following the devastating earthquake earlier this summer.

The source added:

“Delcy reached a renewed awareness that increased oil production is the way to rebuild after the earthquakes and to achieve what her government wants to do for the people suffering from the earthquakes.”

David Goldwyn, president of the international energy consultancy Goldwyn Global Strategies, said investments from independent oil producers and boosting output from existing fields would serve as the “primary source of new oil growth for the next few years” for Venezuela.

“While the oil majors are trying to buy time to see how the political situation clarifies and whether they can cherry-pick the best assets, independent companies can de-risk their projects in the short term,” Goldwyn said.

However, Goldwyn noted that these investments would add no more than 300,000 barrels per day to the country’s oil production over the next year, falling far short of the multi-million-barrel increase that officials in Caracas and Washington wish to see.

“Until the framework improves, electricity is restored, and the political picture becomes clear, all we will see is incremental production growth,” the strategist said.

Continue Reading

America

US-Brazil rift widens over proposed sanctions and trade tariffs

Published

on

Diplomatic tensions between the two countries remain at a peak as the US government considers new sanctions targeting a judge on Brazil’s Supreme Court.

According to sources familiar with the matter who spoke to the Financial Times (FT), the Trump administration is evaluating new measures against Justice Alexandre de Moraes, whom it sanctioned last year on human rights grounds before subsequently rescinding that decision.

Washington’s renewed focus on the magistrate threatens to widen the rift between Brazil and the US across trade and political spheres, casting a shadow over upcoming elections in Latin America’s largest nation.

A little over a year ago, De Moraes was subjected to sanctions under the Global Magnitsky Act. US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent accused him at the time of engaging in a “repressive censorship campaign, arbitrary detentions that violate human rights, and politicized prosecutions,” including measures directed at former Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro.

Bolsonaro, an ally of Donald Trump, was sentenced last year to 27 years in prison for plotting a coup.

However, sanctions targeting the judge, his wife, and a company owned by his family were lifted in December following a meeting and phone conversations between Trump and his Brazilian counterpart, Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva.

According to a source familiar with the matter who requested anonymity, US interest in De Moraes was revived partly due to a case that ignited a debate over press freedom in Brazil.

The judge authorized police raids against a journalist and two sources as part of an investigation into media coverage concerning a Supreme Court justice and his family.

De Moraes defended the action, arguing that the information in question had been illegally obtained and disclosed, thereby endangering the safety of the justice’s family.

The judge gained global prominence several years ago following a public conflict with Elon Musk, which briefly led to the billionaire’s X platform being blocked in Brazil.

Supporters say he “helped protect Brazilian democracy against a wave of misinformation.”

However, critics, including the Trump administration, view him as violating free speech rights.

“He went after the president’s supporters. Not just Elon Musk, but MAGA supporters in Brazil as well. Even if we want to build good relations with Brazil, it is clear that this man is an adversary,” said a person familiar with the US government’s thinking.

Another person stated that the reimposition of Magnitsky sanctions is “under evaluation,” noting that such sanctions entail the freezing of US-based assets and a prohibition on American companies and individuals conducting business with targeted parties.

While it remains unclear whether or when a decision will be reached, any such move would intensify an escalating retaliatory spiral between the two most populous countries in the Americas.

Tensions initially erupted more than a year ago when Trump imposed a 50% tariff on Brazil while demanding that prosecution proceedings against Bolsonaro be dropped.

That tariff was subsequently invalidated by the US Supreme Court.

A brief period of de-escalation since then has drawn to a close, with the US applying a 25% import tariff on numerous Brazilian products in July.

Last month, Brazil denied entry to two Trump envoys over concerns regarding potential interference in its upcoming October elections. Washington rejects those allegations.

Lula, who is seeking re-election for a fourth presidential term, suggested that the US might act to support his main opponent, Senator Flavio Bolsonaro, the jailed former leader’s son.

The 80-year-old president has also engaged in a sharp public exchange of words with US Secretary of State Marco Rubio.

On Sunday, thousands of supporters gathered to welcome Lula at a stadium in Sao Bernardo do Campo, an industrial suburb of Sao Paulo, for the official launch of his election campaign.

Lula originally achieved prominence in the area during the late 1970s as a union leader heading metalworkers’ strikes.

Speaking at the venue, Lula said, “I thank the working men and women of this country who believed that someone like themselves could achieve more than someone different from them. As long as I am alive, I will not stop fighting, and I will not allow the right [to prevail].”

Continue Reading

MOST READ

Turkey