America
National Guard member dies after shooting near White House
Sarah Beckstrom, a 20-year-old National Guard member shot near the White House on Wednesday, has died.
President Donald Trump announced Beckstrom’s death on Thursday evening, describing her as “outstanding in every way” and a “respected, young, and magnificent person.”
Speaking from Mar-a-Lago, Trump said, “She is no longer with us. She is looking down on us right now.” According to the White House, he later spoke with Beckstrom’s family.
Andrew Wolfe, 24, who was also shot in Wednesday’s attack, remains in critical condition.
Trump stated, “As you know, the other young man is fighting for his life. His condition is very bad. He is fighting for his life. We hope to have better news about him. The monster who committed this crime is also in serious condition, but we won’t even talk about him.”
Attorney General Pam Bondi said she was “devastated” by the news. “I am devastated. Please pray for Sarah’s family. America will never forget her courage. JUSTICE WILL BE SERVED for Sarah. Continue to pray for Andrew. Thank you, President Trump; the death penalty is back,” Bondi stated.
On Thursday morning, District of Columbia Attorney General Jeanine Pirro said that the man who shot Beckstrom and Wolfe would be prosecuted on three counts of assault with a deadly weapon and possession of a firearm during a crime of violence, as new information emerged, including his connections to the CIA and the US.
Pirro stated that the shooter would face 15 years in prison on charges of assault with intent to kill, with additional charges to be added if either Beckstrom or Wolfe succumbed to their injuries.
“We are praying for their survival so that the highest charge is not first-degree murder. But without a doubt, if they do not survive, the charge will certainly be first-degree murder,” Pirro had said.
According to Pirro, Beckstrom and Wolfe had been sworn in just 24 hours before the 29-year-old Afghan national opened fire a few blocks from the White House.
Trump, who was briefed shortly after the incident, ordered an additional 500 National Guard troops to be sent to Washington. He described the attack as an “act of evil, hatred, and terror.”
The attacker, identified as Rahmanullah Lakanwal, ambushed the guards in a “brazen attack” with a .357 Smith and Wesson revolver.
Pirro said Lakanwal opened fire around 2:15 p.m. without any provocation. Other guards at the scene immediately responded and “neutralized the attacker.” The assailant was then taken to a local hospital, where he is being held under tight security.
Speaking on Fox & Friends on Thursday, Bondi stated that the Department of Justice would “do everything in our power to seek the death penalty against this monster who should not be in our country.”
In a press conference on Thursday, FBI Director Kash Patel said a search warrant was executed at Lakanwal’s home and that “all individuals present at the residence were questioned.”
“This is an ongoing terrorism investigation, there is no doubt about that,” Patel said.
Patel also announced that the FBI, in conjunction with the CIA and the Department of Defense, is investigating the attacker’s background, including all known connections abroad and in the US.
CIA Director John Ratcliffe confirmed to POLITICO that Lakanwal had previous connections with the US, including the CIA.
Ratcliffe disclosed the attacker’s CIA connection, stating:
“Following Biden’s disastrous withdrawal from Afghanistan, the Biden administration justified bringing the suspected attacker to the US in September 2021 because he had previously worked with the US government, including the CIA, as a member of the joint forces in Kandahar, which ended shortly after the chaotic evacuation. This individual and many others should never have been allowed to come here. Our citizens and our soldiers deserve far better than to suffer the ongoing effects of the Biden administration’s catastrophic failures. God bless our brave soldiers.”
Meanwhile, according to #AfghanEvac, a non-profit organization run by US veterans and others who served in Afghanistan, Lakanwal had previously served in one of Afghanistan’s elite counter-terrorism units.
Following Wednesday’s shooting, US Citizenship and Immigration Services Director Joseph Edlow announced that the agency would re-examine all immigrants with green cards from “countries of concern.”
Earlier this year, Trump had imposed a travel ban on immigrants from 19 countries, including Afghanistan.
“The protection of this country and the American people is paramount, and the American people will not have to pay the price for the reckless resettlement policies of the previous administration. The safety of the American people is not up for debate,” Edlow added.
A memo released by the Trump administration in June listed the 19 countries subject to entry restrictions. The countries on the list included Afghanistan, Burma, Chad, Republic of the Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Haiti, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, and Yemen, as well as Burundi, Cuba, Laos, Sierra Leone, Togo, Turkmenistan, and Venezuela.
President Trump and Vice President JD Vance strongly criticized the Biden administration for its immigration policy of accepting Afghan refugees, while USCIS immediately suspended all immigration applications from Afghan citizens.
Vance stated:
“I remember in 2021 criticizing Biden’s policy of opening the doors to unvetted Afghan refugees. My friends sent me messages telling me I was a racist. This was a moment that put everything into perspective. They should not have been in our country.”
According to a memo obtained by The Hill, the Trump administration had called on USCIS on Tuesday, before the shooting, to “re-interview” approximately 200,000 refugees who had entered the country. The memo indicated that the refugees’ protection status could be revoked.
America
US national debt hits record $40 trillion as borrowing accelerates
The US national debt has reached a record $40 trillion as borrowing expanded at a historic pace.
The development has heightened investor concern over the state of US public finances, despite Donald Trump’s pledge to bring spending under control.
Gross federal debt crossed the threshold on Tuesday, according to Treasury Department data published on Wednesday.
Calculations by the Financial Times show that debt climbed by $3 trillion over the past year, registering the fastest rate of increase in history outside the pandemic period.
Marc Goldwein, senior policy director at the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget think tank, said:
“This is like a giant, flashing ‘check engine’ light. It doesn’t mean your engine will melt down tomorrow, but it is a clear sign that things have gotten quite out of hand. And it’s not just the size of the number; it’s the speed at which we’ve reached it.”
The US national debt has surged over the past two decades, climbing from below $6 trillion at the start of the century (about $12 trillion in 2026 dollar terms) as massive public spending during the financial crisis and the Covid-19 pandemic compounded enormous budget deficits.
In the past 10 years alone, the total debt load has doubled. Debt held by the public—a key gauge tracked by markets that excludes intra-governmental holdings—now exceeds $32 trillion, roughly equal to the size of the US economy.
The non-partisan Congressional Budget Office expects debt held by the public to surpass the post-Second World War record of 106% of GDP by the end of the decade and to reach 120% by 2036.
As borrowing increased, investors began demanding a higher premium to hold US bonds.
This has driven interest rates higher, leaving debt servicing costs larger than national defence spending.
The situation has created unease in Washington. On Wednesday, prior to the release of the debt data, the Treasury Department announced it would double its buybacks of long-term government debt in a bid to halt a recent sell-off.
Last week, the US paid its highest borrowing costs since 2001 to sell 30-year bonds.
Wednesday’s 10-year Treasury auction produced the highest yields since 2007 as investors fretted over the scale of the debt.
Ed Yardeni, president of Yardeni Research, said: “That is an awful lot of money being borrowed. It is going to feed on itself with interest expenses. If interest rates rise because of concerns about the high debt load, that will lead to even more interest expense. It’s a vicious cycle.”
Trump returned to office in 2025 promising to rein in “wasteful” government spending.
Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent pledged to reduce the budget deficit to 3% of GDP by the end of Trump’s term.
However, measures to trim spending in some areas were offset by broad tax cuts in the president’s signature 2025 fiscal legislation, the “One Big Beautiful Bill”, which will add more than $4 trillion to the debt by 2034.
Trump also requested an increase of more than 50% in annual defence spending, seeking $1.5 trillion in the largest budget request in US history.
The deficit fell to 5.9% of GDP in 2025 from 6.3% the previous year. The CBO expects the deficit to decline to 5.8% this year. The US national debt comprises years of accumulated deficits compounded by interest charges.
Analysts noted that both US political parties missed opportunities during periods of economic expansion to take significant steps toward curbing spending.
Calculations by the Congressional Joint Economic Committee indicate that over the past year, total national debt grew by roughly $7.9 billion a day, or approximately $91,000 per second.
Budget specialists said they hoped crossing the $40 trillion threshold would spur politicians from both parties to take meaningful steps to bring borrowing back under control.
Michael Peterson, head of the Peterson Foundation, a think tank dedicated to returning debt to a sustainable trajectory, said:
“My hope is that this serves as a national alarm and wake-up call to address our fiscal future. If we keep borrowing this much, we are going to face a day of reckoning in financial markets… People will wake up one day and decide: ‘You know what? I’m more worried about the United States now. I’m going to demand higher interest rates, or I’m going to put my money somewhere else.'”
America
Independent US oil firms set to sign output deals in Venezuela
Several independent US oil producers are expected to sign production contracts with Venezuela’s state-owned oil company in the coming days.
According to sources who spoke to Politico on condition of anonymity because details of the event have not yet been made public, a signing ceremony involving several small US producers and Petróleos de Venezuela (PDVSA) was scheduled to take place in Houston on Tuesday (18 August) evening.
One source said Venezuela’s oil minister and the head of PDVSA’s exploration division were scheduled to attend the ceremony. Another source added that the event could be postponed until Wednesday morning.
The White House, which did not immediately respond to a request for comment, was not expected to be officially involved in Tuesday’s ceremony.
However, the development follows a visit by senior officials to Caracas in late April, where they signed memorandums of understanding that established the framework for formal production agreements in the country, which holds some of the world’s largest oil reserves.
Despite the tailwind provided by high crude prices, negotiations had stalled over key details such as dispute resolution, while officials in Caracas contended with two devastating earthquakes in June that claimed thousands of lives.
Venezuela’s interim president, Delcy Rodríguez, announced new regulations last month that offer more favourable fiscal terms to international oil companies.
According to an industry source close to the negotiations, the signing of the contracts comes after the Trump administration renewed pressure on Rodríguez to ensure PDVSA concludes agreements with American firms.
The source said these efforts included outreach by Secretary of State Marco Rubio to discuss how increased oil revenues could assist the country following the devastating earthquake earlier this summer.
The source added:
“Delcy reached a renewed awareness that increased oil production is the way to rebuild after the earthquakes and to achieve what her government wants to do for the people suffering from the earthquakes.”
David Goldwyn, president of the international energy consultancy Goldwyn Global Strategies, said investments from independent oil producers and boosting output from existing fields would serve as the “primary source of new oil growth for the next few years” for Venezuela.
“While the oil majors are trying to buy time to see how the political situation clarifies and whether they can cherry-pick the best assets, independent companies can de-risk their projects in the short term,” Goldwyn said.
However, Goldwyn noted that these investments would add no more than 300,000 barrels per day to the country’s oil production over the next year, falling far short of the multi-million-barrel increase that officials in Caracas and Washington wish to see.
“Until the framework improves, electricity is restored, and the political picture becomes clear, all we will see is incremental production growth,” the strategist said.
America
US-Brazil rift widens over proposed sanctions and trade tariffs
Diplomatic tensions between the two countries remain at a peak as the US government considers new sanctions targeting a judge on Brazil’s Supreme Court.
According to sources familiar with the matter who spoke to the Financial Times (FT), the Trump administration is evaluating new measures against Justice Alexandre de Moraes, whom it sanctioned last year on human rights grounds before subsequently rescinding that decision.
Washington’s renewed focus on the magistrate threatens to widen the rift between Brazil and the US across trade and political spheres, casting a shadow over upcoming elections in Latin America’s largest nation.
A little over a year ago, De Moraes was subjected to sanctions under the Global Magnitsky Act. US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent accused him at the time of engaging in a “repressive censorship campaign, arbitrary detentions that violate human rights, and politicized prosecutions,” including measures directed at former Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro.
Bolsonaro, an ally of Donald Trump, was sentenced last year to 27 years in prison for plotting a coup.
However, sanctions targeting the judge, his wife, and a company owned by his family were lifted in December following a meeting and phone conversations between Trump and his Brazilian counterpart, Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva.
According to a source familiar with the matter who requested anonymity, US interest in De Moraes was revived partly due to a case that ignited a debate over press freedom in Brazil.
The judge authorized police raids against a journalist and two sources as part of an investigation into media coverage concerning a Supreme Court justice and his family.
De Moraes defended the action, arguing that the information in question had been illegally obtained and disclosed, thereby endangering the safety of the justice’s family.
The judge gained global prominence several years ago following a public conflict with Elon Musk, which briefly led to the billionaire’s X platform being blocked in Brazil.
Supporters say he “helped protect Brazilian democracy against a wave of misinformation.”
However, critics, including the Trump administration, view him as violating free speech rights.
“He went after the president’s supporters. Not just Elon Musk, but MAGA supporters in Brazil as well. Even if we want to build good relations with Brazil, it is clear that this man is an adversary,” said a person familiar with the US government’s thinking.
Another person stated that the reimposition of Magnitsky sanctions is “under evaluation,” noting that such sanctions entail the freezing of US-based assets and a prohibition on American companies and individuals conducting business with targeted parties.
While it remains unclear whether or when a decision will be reached, any such move would intensify an escalating retaliatory spiral between the two most populous countries in the Americas.
Tensions initially erupted more than a year ago when Trump imposed a 50% tariff on Brazil while demanding that prosecution proceedings against Bolsonaro be dropped.
That tariff was subsequently invalidated by the US Supreme Court.
A brief period of de-escalation since then has drawn to a close, with the US applying a 25% import tariff on numerous Brazilian products in July.
Last month, Brazil denied entry to two Trump envoys over concerns regarding potential interference in its upcoming October elections. Washington rejects those allegations.
Lula, who is seeking re-election for a fourth presidential term, suggested that the US might act to support his main opponent, Senator Flavio Bolsonaro, the jailed former leader’s son.
The 80-year-old president has also engaged in a sharp public exchange of words with US Secretary of State Marco Rubio.
On Sunday, thousands of supporters gathered to welcome Lula at a stadium in Sao Bernardo do Campo, an industrial suburb of Sao Paulo, for the official launch of his election campaign.
Lula originally achieved prominence in the area during the late 1970s as a union leader heading metalworkers’ strikes.
Speaking at the venue, Lula said, “I thank the working men and women of this country who believed that someone like themselves could achieve more than someone different from them. As long as I am alive, I will not stop fighting, and I will not allow the right [to prevail].”
-
Interview6 days agoDaniel Davis warns US strategy fails against Iranian defense grid
-
Diplomacy6 days agoErdogan blocked CIA-Mossad plan for armed Kurdish uprising in Iran, report says
-
America6 days agoAIPAC super PAC pours millions into key Democratic primary races
-
Middle East6 days agoUS considers land blockade on Iran involving Türkiye and neighbours
-
Interview2 weeks agoQuincy Institute expert says the United States had no plan B
-
Opinion2 weeks agoThe U.S. Economy and NATO’s Function
-
Europe6 days agoUkraine uses British drones for long-range strikes deep inside Russia
-
America6 days agoUS-Brazil rift widens over proposed sanctions and trade tariffs
