America
Trump threatens Brazil with 50% tariff over Bolsonaro legal case
US President Donald Trump has threatened to impose a 50% tariff on Brazil, citing the legal case against former Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro.
In a post on his social media account, Trump referred to Jair Bolsonaro, the former right-wing president and rival to Lula da Silva, who is on trial for an attempted coup following his defeat in the 2022 elections.
Trump established a political link, stating that he made this change “partly due to Brazil’s insidious attacks on free elections and the fundamental free speech rights of Americans.”
The charges against Bolsonaro, who emulated Trump’s political style during his presidency, stem from an investigation into post-election events in Brazil’s capital, which have been compared to the insurrection attempt in Washington on January 6, 2021.
As his legal troubles have mounted, Bolsonaro has repeatedly sought help from Trump.
Following Trump’s announcement, the Brazilian real lost about 3% of its value against the US dollar, and the iShares MSCI Brazil ETF, the largest exchange-traded fund tracking the country’s stocks in the US, fell by approximately 2% at market close.
Brazil was already set to be subject to a tax of at least 10% under the “reciprocal” tariffs Trump announced in April.
This letter, the latest in a series of more than 20 issued by Trump in recent days, marked the first significant increase over previously announced rates.
Shortly after the announcement, Lula convened a meeting at the presidential palace with senior cabinet members, including Finance Minister Fernando Haddad, Foreign Minister Mauro Vieira, and Vice President Geraldo Alckmin, who also heads the Brazilian Ministry of Industry and Commerce, according to two people familiar with the situation.
In a post on social media late Wednesday, Lula stated that Brazil would not be “lectured” by anyone, adding that the case against those who planned the coup is solely a matter for the country’s justice system and is “not subject to interference or threats.”
Lula said, “Any unilateral tariff increase will be met with Brazil’s economic reciprocity law. The sovereignty, respect, and interests of the Brazilian people are the principles that guide our relations with the world.”
The US is Brazil’s second-largest trading partner after China, and such a high tariff could cause significant damage to certain sectors of the South American country’s economy.
“Steel products, transportation equipment (especially aircraft and aircraft parts), special machinery (like construction equipment), and non-metallic minerals constitute a significant portion of Brazil’s exports to the US,” said Felipe Arslan, CEO of Morada Capital, speaking to Bloomberg.
Beyond the economic effects, analysts expressed concern about the political consequences of the tariffs.
The US and Brazil are historic partners that have long maintained strong relations, even when led by presidents with ideological differences, and Trump’s dynamic announcement risks jeopardizing these ties.
“This is not just a matter of bilateral trade. These tariffs indicate an institutional deterioration and damage to the relationship between our countries. A 50% tariff could make exports impossible in many cases,” said Solange Srour, head of macroeconomics for Brazil at UBS Global Wealth Management.
Trump’s announcement came just days after he threatened to impose additional tariffs on developing countries in the BRICS bloc for their “anti-American policies.”
BRICS leaders, hosted by Lula in Rio de Janeiro this week, criticized trade-distorting tariff policies and military strikes against Iran in their official communiqués. Although these steps avoided a direct challenge to the US, they created friction with Trump.
Having rarely mentioned Brazil in the first months of his term, Trump rushed to Bolsonaro’s defense on Monday, accusing the South American nation of “political persecution” against its former president.
In the letter, Trump reiterated his call for authorities to drop the charges related to the coup attempt allegations against Bolsonaro.
“This case should not be tried. This is a witch hunt and must end immediately!” Trump wrote.
Trump also instructed US Trade Representative Jamieson Greer to launch a Section 301 investigation against Brazil, citing the country’s “ongoing attacks on the digital trade activities of American companies.”
Such an investigation, used to probe potentially unfair trade practices, could lead to the US imposing additional sanctions on Brazil.
On Monday, at the end of the BRICS summit, Lula sharply criticized Trump, telling him to mind his own business and that he was “not responsible for threatening tariffs on social media.”
Lula also called on world leaders to find ways to reduce international trade’s dependence on the dollar.
A spokesperson for the Brazilian Supreme Court, which is overseeing Bolsonaro’s trial, declined to comment. Earlier on Wednesday, the Brazilian Foreign Ministry summoned the top US representative in Brazil to a meeting to provide information about the statements regarding Bolsonaro.
Brazil is an unusual case among Trump’s latest tariff targets because it runs a trade deficit with the US, whereas nearly all other targeted countries have large surpluses. According to statistics, in 2024, Brazil imported approximately $44 billion worth of American products, while US imports from Brazil totaled about $42 billion. Brazil is among the top 20 trading partners of the US.
America
US national debt hits record $40 trillion as borrowing accelerates
The US national debt has reached a record $40 trillion as borrowing expanded at a historic pace.
The development has heightened investor concern over the state of US public finances, despite Donald Trump’s pledge to bring spending under control.
Gross federal debt crossed the threshold on Tuesday, according to Treasury Department data published on Wednesday.
Calculations by the Financial Times show that debt climbed by $3 trillion over the past year, registering the fastest rate of increase in history outside the pandemic period.
Marc Goldwein, senior policy director at the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget think tank, said:
“This is like a giant, flashing ‘check engine’ light. It doesn’t mean your engine will melt down tomorrow, but it is a clear sign that things have gotten quite out of hand. And it’s not just the size of the number; it’s the speed at which we’ve reached it.”
The US national debt has surged over the past two decades, climbing from below $6 trillion at the start of the century (about $12 trillion in 2026 dollar terms) as massive public spending during the financial crisis and the Covid-19 pandemic compounded enormous budget deficits.
In the past 10 years alone, the total debt load has doubled. Debt held by the public—a key gauge tracked by markets that excludes intra-governmental holdings—now exceeds $32 trillion, roughly equal to the size of the US economy.
The non-partisan Congressional Budget Office expects debt held by the public to surpass the post-Second World War record of 106% of GDP by the end of the decade and to reach 120% by 2036.
As borrowing increased, investors began demanding a higher premium to hold US bonds.
This has driven interest rates higher, leaving debt servicing costs larger than national defence spending.
The situation has created unease in Washington. On Wednesday, prior to the release of the debt data, the Treasury Department announced it would double its buybacks of long-term government debt in a bid to halt a recent sell-off.
Last week, the US paid its highest borrowing costs since 2001 to sell 30-year bonds.
Wednesday’s 10-year Treasury auction produced the highest yields since 2007 as investors fretted over the scale of the debt.
Ed Yardeni, president of Yardeni Research, said: “That is an awful lot of money being borrowed. It is going to feed on itself with interest expenses. If interest rates rise because of concerns about the high debt load, that will lead to even more interest expense. It’s a vicious cycle.”
Trump returned to office in 2025 promising to rein in “wasteful” government spending.
Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent pledged to reduce the budget deficit to 3% of GDP by the end of Trump’s term.
However, measures to trim spending in some areas were offset by broad tax cuts in the president’s signature 2025 fiscal legislation, the “One Big Beautiful Bill”, which will add more than $4 trillion to the debt by 2034.
Trump also requested an increase of more than 50% in annual defence spending, seeking $1.5 trillion in the largest budget request in US history.
The deficit fell to 5.9% of GDP in 2025 from 6.3% the previous year. The CBO expects the deficit to decline to 5.8% this year. The US national debt comprises years of accumulated deficits compounded by interest charges.
Analysts noted that both US political parties missed opportunities during periods of economic expansion to take significant steps toward curbing spending.
Calculations by the Congressional Joint Economic Committee indicate that over the past year, total national debt grew by roughly $7.9 billion a day, or approximately $91,000 per second.
Budget specialists said they hoped crossing the $40 trillion threshold would spur politicians from both parties to take meaningful steps to bring borrowing back under control.
Michael Peterson, head of the Peterson Foundation, a think tank dedicated to returning debt to a sustainable trajectory, said:
“My hope is that this serves as a national alarm and wake-up call to address our fiscal future. If we keep borrowing this much, we are going to face a day of reckoning in financial markets… People will wake up one day and decide: ‘You know what? I’m more worried about the United States now. I’m going to demand higher interest rates, or I’m going to put my money somewhere else.'”
America
Independent US oil firms set to sign output deals in Venezuela
Several independent US oil producers are expected to sign production contracts with Venezuela’s state-owned oil company in the coming days.
According to sources who spoke to Politico on condition of anonymity because details of the event have not yet been made public, a signing ceremony involving several small US producers and Petróleos de Venezuela (PDVSA) was scheduled to take place in Houston on Tuesday (18 August) evening.
One source said Venezuela’s oil minister and the head of PDVSA’s exploration division were scheduled to attend the ceremony. Another source added that the event could be postponed until Wednesday morning.
The White House, which did not immediately respond to a request for comment, was not expected to be officially involved in Tuesday’s ceremony.
However, the development follows a visit by senior officials to Caracas in late April, where they signed memorandums of understanding that established the framework for formal production agreements in the country, which holds some of the world’s largest oil reserves.
Despite the tailwind provided by high crude prices, negotiations had stalled over key details such as dispute resolution, while officials in Caracas contended with two devastating earthquakes in June that claimed thousands of lives.
Venezuela’s interim president, Delcy Rodríguez, announced new regulations last month that offer more favourable fiscal terms to international oil companies.
According to an industry source close to the negotiations, the signing of the contracts comes after the Trump administration renewed pressure on Rodríguez to ensure PDVSA concludes agreements with American firms.
The source said these efforts included outreach by Secretary of State Marco Rubio to discuss how increased oil revenues could assist the country following the devastating earthquake earlier this summer.
The source added:
“Delcy reached a renewed awareness that increased oil production is the way to rebuild after the earthquakes and to achieve what her government wants to do for the people suffering from the earthquakes.”
David Goldwyn, president of the international energy consultancy Goldwyn Global Strategies, said investments from independent oil producers and boosting output from existing fields would serve as the “primary source of new oil growth for the next few years” for Venezuela.
“While the oil majors are trying to buy time to see how the political situation clarifies and whether they can cherry-pick the best assets, independent companies can de-risk their projects in the short term,” Goldwyn said.
However, Goldwyn noted that these investments would add no more than 300,000 barrels per day to the country’s oil production over the next year, falling far short of the multi-million-barrel increase that officials in Caracas and Washington wish to see.
“Until the framework improves, electricity is restored, and the political picture becomes clear, all we will see is incremental production growth,” the strategist said.
America
US-Brazil rift widens over proposed sanctions and trade tariffs
Diplomatic tensions between the two countries remain at a peak as the US government considers new sanctions targeting a judge on Brazil’s Supreme Court.
According to sources familiar with the matter who spoke to the Financial Times (FT), the Trump administration is evaluating new measures against Justice Alexandre de Moraes, whom it sanctioned last year on human rights grounds before subsequently rescinding that decision.
Washington’s renewed focus on the magistrate threatens to widen the rift between Brazil and the US across trade and political spheres, casting a shadow over upcoming elections in Latin America’s largest nation.
A little over a year ago, De Moraes was subjected to sanctions under the Global Magnitsky Act. US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent accused him at the time of engaging in a “repressive censorship campaign, arbitrary detentions that violate human rights, and politicized prosecutions,” including measures directed at former Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro.
Bolsonaro, an ally of Donald Trump, was sentenced last year to 27 years in prison for plotting a coup.
However, sanctions targeting the judge, his wife, and a company owned by his family were lifted in December following a meeting and phone conversations between Trump and his Brazilian counterpart, Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva.
According to a source familiar with the matter who requested anonymity, US interest in De Moraes was revived partly due to a case that ignited a debate over press freedom in Brazil.
The judge authorized police raids against a journalist and two sources as part of an investigation into media coverage concerning a Supreme Court justice and his family.
De Moraes defended the action, arguing that the information in question had been illegally obtained and disclosed, thereby endangering the safety of the justice’s family.
The judge gained global prominence several years ago following a public conflict with Elon Musk, which briefly led to the billionaire’s X platform being blocked in Brazil.
Supporters say he “helped protect Brazilian democracy against a wave of misinformation.”
However, critics, including the Trump administration, view him as violating free speech rights.
“He went after the president’s supporters. Not just Elon Musk, but MAGA supporters in Brazil as well. Even if we want to build good relations with Brazil, it is clear that this man is an adversary,” said a person familiar with the US government’s thinking.
Another person stated that the reimposition of Magnitsky sanctions is “under evaluation,” noting that such sanctions entail the freezing of US-based assets and a prohibition on American companies and individuals conducting business with targeted parties.
While it remains unclear whether or when a decision will be reached, any such move would intensify an escalating retaliatory spiral between the two most populous countries in the Americas.
Tensions initially erupted more than a year ago when Trump imposed a 50% tariff on Brazil while demanding that prosecution proceedings against Bolsonaro be dropped.
That tariff was subsequently invalidated by the US Supreme Court.
A brief period of de-escalation since then has drawn to a close, with the US applying a 25% import tariff on numerous Brazilian products in July.
Last month, Brazil denied entry to two Trump envoys over concerns regarding potential interference in its upcoming October elections. Washington rejects those allegations.
Lula, who is seeking re-election for a fourth presidential term, suggested that the US might act to support his main opponent, Senator Flavio Bolsonaro, the jailed former leader’s son.
The 80-year-old president has also engaged in a sharp public exchange of words with US Secretary of State Marco Rubio.
On Sunday, thousands of supporters gathered to welcome Lula at a stadium in Sao Bernardo do Campo, an industrial suburb of Sao Paulo, for the official launch of his election campaign.
Lula originally achieved prominence in the area during the late 1970s as a union leader heading metalworkers’ strikes.
Speaking at the venue, Lula said, “I thank the working men and women of this country who believed that someone like themselves could achieve more than someone different from them. As long as I am alive, I will not stop fighting, and I will not allow the right [to prevail].”
-
Interview6 days agoDaniel Davis warns US strategy fails against Iranian defense grid
-
Diplomacy6 days agoErdogan blocked CIA-Mossad plan for armed Kurdish uprising in Iran, report says
-
America6 days agoAIPAC super PAC pours millions into key Democratic primary races
-
Middle East6 days agoUS considers land blockade on Iran involving Türkiye and neighbours
-
Interview2 weeks agoQuincy Institute expert says the United States had no plan B
-
Europe6 days agoUkraine uses British drones for long-range strikes deep inside Russia
-
Opinion2 weeks agoThe U.S. Economy and NATO’s Function
-
America6 days agoUS-Brazil rift widens over proposed sanctions and trade tariffs
