America
US Congress passes landmark crypto legislation with bipartisan support
The US House of Representatives has overwhelmingly passed the first major legal reform for cryptocurrency regulations.
A bill that will introduce new rules for stablecoins has been sent to the president’s desk, and crypto companies have achieved a historic lobbying victory.
House members passed the GENIUS Act, which had already passed the Senate, with a vote of 308 to 122. More than 100 Democrats, including Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries, joined Republicans to approve a measure that will help legitimize digital assets as mainstream financial products.
The law will regulate stablecoins and tokens pegged to assets like the US dollar and pave the way for banks to launch their own digital assets.
The House of Representatives also passed a second, much more comprehensive crypto market structure bill with a vote of 294 to 134, which will now go to the Senate.
78 Democrats voted with Republicans to advance the bill, known as the CLARITY Act. This was a victory showing bipartisan support that exceeded expectations and surpassed the number of votes a similar bill received in the House last year.
This law also tasks the Securities and Exchange Commission with determining whether an asset is considered a security.
Banks are preparing for digital assets
US banks are openly expressing their interest in entering the digital asset space.
JPMorgan CEO Jamie Dimon said this week that his bank “will be involved in both JPMorgan deposit coins and stablecoins.”
Citi CEO Jane Fraser stated on Tuesday that the Wall Street bank is “enthusiastic” about the GENIUS Act.
“We really welcome the administration’s willingness to allow banks to enter the digital asset space more easily. Until now, it has been difficult for us to compete on a level playing field,” Fraser said.
Bank of America CEO Brian Moynihan also mentioned the bank’s desire to offer stablecoin payments but noted that uncertainty remains about how much demand there will be for digital tokens.
Republican-Democrat collaboration on digital assets
Jeffries voted against the market structure proposal, which would create a larger, industry-friendly regulatory framework for digital assets, but the proposal received support from many other prominent Democrats, including former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Democratic Caucus Chair Pete Aguilar.
The strong Democratic support for the industry-backed crypto bills came despite Representative Maxine Waters of California, the top Democrat on the House Financial Services Committee, saying the bill posed a risk to financial stability and would allow President Donald Trump to engage in corruption.
Waters and other Democrats pointed to the Trump family’s business connections in the crypto sector, demanding that presidential ethics provisions be added to the bills.
Trump and his sons have stakes in various crypto ventures, including a company they founded last year that issues stablecoins and could benefit from the GENIUS bill, which is now awaiting the president’s signature.
However, a growing faction of the party has joined Republicans in supporting the digital asset industry’s Washington agenda. This is a sign of the rise of crypto companies as a political force.
Companies in the crypto sector have spent hundreds of millions of dollars to gain influence, and the massive funds of super PACs are preparing to target members of Congress who stand in the way of the industry’s goals.
The House also passed a third, more partisan measure that would ban a central bank digital currency.
The vote was a major victory for Republicans who have been pushing for industry-friendly crypto rules for years. Financial Services Committee Chairman French Hill, a leader of these efforts, also voted in favor.
Retirement system doors opening wide for capital
In addition, the Trump administration is preparing to open the $9 trillion US retirement market to cryptocurrency investments, gold, and private equity in a move that will lead to a radical change in how Americans’ savings are managed.
According to three people familiar with the president’s plans who spoke to the Financial Times (FT), Trump is expected to sign a presidential executive order this week that will open 401k plans to alternative investments beyond traditional stocks and bonds.
These investments will cover a wide range of asset classes, from digital assets and metals to funds focused on corporate takeovers, private loans, and infrastructure deals.
These individuals said the executive order will instruct regulatory agencies in Washington to investigate the remaining barriers to including such alternative investments in professionally managed funds used by 401k savers.
The White House told the FT, “President Trump is determined to restore the prosperity of ordinary Americans and protect their economic future. But no decision should be considered official unless it comes from President Trump himself.”
In the US, 401k plans are one of the most popular ways for working Americans to save for retirement, allowing them to invest a portion of their salary in publicly traded securities on a tax-deferred basis.
However, almost all of these investments are in publicly traded stock and bond mutual funds.
The executive order will accelerate efforts to mainstream crypto investments, following the Trump administration’s lifting of significant sanctions against major digital asset trading groups.
Private equity groups lobby for access to retirement savings
The Trump administration had already begun to relax rules regarding the use of cryptocurrency in retirement accounts.
In May, the Department of Labor rescinded a Biden-era practice that discouraged 401k plan managers from including cryptocurrency investment options.
Beyond cryptocurrencies, Trump’s executive order will help the world’s largest private equity groups, such as Blackstone, Apollo, and BlackRock, which have tied much of their future growth to investing money on behalf of ordinary retirement savers.
The regulation will ask the Department of Labor to consider creating a safe harbor for retirement plan managers. This will minimize the legal risks for managers who offer savers private investments that charge higher fees and are not as easily valued or traded as public stocks.
Apollo, BlackRock, Blackstone: Partnerships for retirement funds begin
Private equity groups like Blackstone and Apollo anticipate that gaining access to 401k retirement plans could attract hundreds of billions of dollars in new industry assets and have begun forming partnerships with major asset managers.
Blackstone has signed a partnership agreement with Vanguard, while Apollo and Partners Group are among the companies that will offer investments to Empower, a major 401k plan sponsor. BlackRock has started working with Great Gray Trust, a third-party administrator of retirement savings plans.
The opening of the 401k market to private equity comes at a time when the industry has been struggling in recent years to raise new funds from institutional investors such as pension funds and endowments.
However, the effort to steer savings plans toward less liquid private assets also brings risks, such as less transparency in fund asset valuation, as well as higher fees and overall leverage.
America
US national debt hits record $40 trillion as borrowing accelerates
The US national debt has reached a record $40 trillion as borrowing expanded at a historic pace.
The development has heightened investor concern over the state of US public finances, despite Donald Trump’s pledge to bring spending under control.
Gross federal debt crossed the threshold on Tuesday, according to Treasury Department data published on Wednesday.
Calculations by the Financial Times show that debt climbed by $3 trillion over the past year, registering the fastest rate of increase in history outside the pandemic period.
Marc Goldwein, senior policy director at the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget think tank, said:
“This is like a giant, flashing ‘check engine’ light. It doesn’t mean your engine will melt down tomorrow, but it is a clear sign that things have gotten quite out of hand. And it’s not just the size of the number; it’s the speed at which we’ve reached it.”
The US national debt has surged over the past two decades, climbing from below $6 trillion at the start of the century (about $12 trillion in 2026 dollar terms) as massive public spending during the financial crisis and the Covid-19 pandemic compounded enormous budget deficits.
In the past 10 years alone, the total debt load has doubled. Debt held by the public—a key gauge tracked by markets that excludes intra-governmental holdings—now exceeds $32 trillion, roughly equal to the size of the US economy.
The non-partisan Congressional Budget Office expects debt held by the public to surpass the post-Second World War record of 106% of GDP by the end of the decade and to reach 120% by 2036.
As borrowing increased, investors began demanding a higher premium to hold US bonds.
This has driven interest rates higher, leaving debt servicing costs larger than national defence spending.
The situation has created unease in Washington. On Wednesday, prior to the release of the debt data, the Treasury Department announced it would double its buybacks of long-term government debt in a bid to halt a recent sell-off.
Last week, the US paid its highest borrowing costs since 2001 to sell 30-year bonds.
Wednesday’s 10-year Treasury auction produced the highest yields since 2007 as investors fretted over the scale of the debt.
Ed Yardeni, president of Yardeni Research, said: “That is an awful lot of money being borrowed. It is going to feed on itself with interest expenses. If interest rates rise because of concerns about the high debt load, that will lead to even more interest expense. It’s a vicious cycle.”
Trump returned to office in 2025 promising to rein in “wasteful” government spending.
Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent pledged to reduce the budget deficit to 3% of GDP by the end of Trump’s term.
However, measures to trim spending in some areas were offset by broad tax cuts in the president’s signature 2025 fiscal legislation, the “One Big Beautiful Bill”, which will add more than $4 trillion to the debt by 2034.
Trump also requested an increase of more than 50% in annual defence spending, seeking $1.5 trillion in the largest budget request in US history.
The deficit fell to 5.9% of GDP in 2025 from 6.3% the previous year. The CBO expects the deficit to decline to 5.8% this year. The US national debt comprises years of accumulated deficits compounded by interest charges.
Analysts noted that both US political parties missed opportunities during periods of economic expansion to take significant steps toward curbing spending.
Calculations by the Congressional Joint Economic Committee indicate that over the past year, total national debt grew by roughly $7.9 billion a day, or approximately $91,000 per second.
Budget specialists said they hoped crossing the $40 trillion threshold would spur politicians from both parties to take meaningful steps to bring borrowing back under control.
Michael Peterson, head of the Peterson Foundation, a think tank dedicated to returning debt to a sustainable trajectory, said:
“My hope is that this serves as a national alarm and wake-up call to address our fiscal future. If we keep borrowing this much, we are going to face a day of reckoning in financial markets… People will wake up one day and decide: ‘You know what? I’m more worried about the United States now. I’m going to demand higher interest rates, or I’m going to put my money somewhere else.'”
America
Independent US oil firms set to sign output deals in Venezuela
Several independent US oil producers are expected to sign production contracts with Venezuela’s state-owned oil company in the coming days.
According to sources who spoke to Politico on condition of anonymity because details of the event have not yet been made public, a signing ceremony involving several small US producers and Petróleos de Venezuela (PDVSA) was scheduled to take place in Houston on Tuesday (18 August) evening.
One source said Venezuela’s oil minister and the head of PDVSA’s exploration division were scheduled to attend the ceremony. Another source added that the event could be postponed until Wednesday morning.
The White House, which did not immediately respond to a request for comment, was not expected to be officially involved in Tuesday’s ceremony.
However, the development follows a visit by senior officials to Caracas in late April, where they signed memorandums of understanding that established the framework for formal production agreements in the country, which holds some of the world’s largest oil reserves.
Despite the tailwind provided by high crude prices, negotiations had stalled over key details such as dispute resolution, while officials in Caracas contended with two devastating earthquakes in June that claimed thousands of lives.
Venezuela’s interim president, Delcy Rodríguez, announced new regulations last month that offer more favourable fiscal terms to international oil companies.
According to an industry source close to the negotiations, the signing of the contracts comes after the Trump administration renewed pressure on Rodríguez to ensure PDVSA concludes agreements with American firms.
The source said these efforts included outreach by Secretary of State Marco Rubio to discuss how increased oil revenues could assist the country following the devastating earthquake earlier this summer.
The source added:
“Delcy reached a renewed awareness that increased oil production is the way to rebuild after the earthquakes and to achieve what her government wants to do for the people suffering from the earthquakes.”
David Goldwyn, president of the international energy consultancy Goldwyn Global Strategies, said investments from independent oil producers and boosting output from existing fields would serve as the “primary source of new oil growth for the next few years” for Venezuela.
“While the oil majors are trying to buy time to see how the political situation clarifies and whether they can cherry-pick the best assets, independent companies can de-risk their projects in the short term,” Goldwyn said.
However, Goldwyn noted that these investments would add no more than 300,000 barrels per day to the country’s oil production over the next year, falling far short of the multi-million-barrel increase that officials in Caracas and Washington wish to see.
“Until the framework improves, electricity is restored, and the political picture becomes clear, all we will see is incremental production growth,” the strategist said.
America
US-Brazil rift widens over proposed sanctions and trade tariffs
Diplomatic tensions between the two countries remain at a peak as the US government considers new sanctions targeting a judge on Brazil’s Supreme Court.
According to sources familiar with the matter who spoke to the Financial Times (FT), the Trump administration is evaluating new measures against Justice Alexandre de Moraes, whom it sanctioned last year on human rights grounds before subsequently rescinding that decision.
Washington’s renewed focus on the magistrate threatens to widen the rift between Brazil and the US across trade and political spheres, casting a shadow over upcoming elections in Latin America’s largest nation.
A little over a year ago, De Moraes was subjected to sanctions under the Global Magnitsky Act. US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent accused him at the time of engaging in a “repressive censorship campaign, arbitrary detentions that violate human rights, and politicized prosecutions,” including measures directed at former Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro.
Bolsonaro, an ally of Donald Trump, was sentenced last year to 27 years in prison for plotting a coup.
However, sanctions targeting the judge, his wife, and a company owned by his family were lifted in December following a meeting and phone conversations between Trump and his Brazilian counterpart, Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva.
According to a source familiar with the matter who requested anonymity, US interest in De Moraes was revived partly due to a case that ignited a debate over press freedom in Brazil.
The judge authorized police raids against a journalist and two sources as part of an investigation into media coverage concerning a Supreme Court justice and his family.
De Moraes defended the action, arguing that the information in question had been illegally obtained and disclosed, thereby endangering the safety of the justice’s family.
The judge gained global prominence several years ago following a public conflict with Elon Musk, which briefly led to the billionaire’s X platform being blocked in Brazil.
Supporters say he “helped protect Brazilian democracy against a wave of misinformation.”
However, critics, including the Trump administration, view him as violating free speech rights.
“He went after the president’s supporters. Not just Elon Musk, but MAGA supporters in Brazil as well. Even if we want to build good relations with Brazil, it is clear that this man is an adversary,” said a person familiar with the US government’s thinking.
Another person stated that the reimposition of Magnitsky sanctions is “under evaluation,” noting that such sanctions entail the freezing of US-based assets and a prohibition on American companies and individuals conducting business with targeted parties.
While it remains unclear whether or when a decision will be reached, any such move would intensify an escalating retaliatory spiral between the two most populous countries in the Americas.
Tensions initially erupted more than a year ago when Trump imposed a 50% tariff on Brazil while demanding that prosecution proceedings against Bolsonaro be dropped.
That tariff was subsequently invalidated by the US Supreme Court.
A brief period of de-escalation since then has drawn to a close, with the US applying a 25% import tariff on numerous Brazilian products in July.
Last month, Brazil denied entry to two Trump envoys over concerns regarding potential interference in its upcoming October elections. Washington rejects those allegations.
Lula, who is seeking re-election for a fourth presidential term, suggested that the US might act to support his main opponent, Senator Flavio Bolsonaro, the jailed former leader’s son.
The 80-year-old president has also engaged in a sharp public exchange of words with US Secretary of State Marco Rubio.
On Sunday, thousands of supporters gathered to welcome Lula at a stadium in Sao Bernardo do Campo, an industrial suburb of Sao Paulo, for the official launch of his election campaign.
Lula originally achieved prominence in the area during the late 1970s as a union leader heading metalworkers’ strikes.
Speaking at the venue, Lula said, “I thank the working men and women of this country who believed that someone like themselves could achieve more than someone different from them. As long as I am alive, I will not stop fighting, and I will not allow the right [to prevail].”
-
Interview6 days agoDaniel Davis warns US strategy fails against Iranian defense grid
-
Diplomacy6 days agoErdogan blocked CIA-Mossad plan for armed Kurdish uprising in Iran, report says
-
America6 days agoAIPAC super PAC pours millions into key Democratic primary races
-
Middle East6 days agoUS considers land blockade on Iran involving Türkiye and neighbours
-
Interview2 weeks agoQuincy Institute expert says the United States had no plan B
-
Opinion2 weeks agoThe U.S. Economy and NATO’s Function
-
Europe6 days agoUkraine uses British drones for long-range strikes deep inside Russia
-
America6 days agoUS-Brazil rift widens over proposed sanctions and trade tariffs
