ASIA
Pakistan: Mounting security challenges

The security situation in Pakistan is deteriorating. The country’s economy also continues to decline. On the security situation, several deadly attacks have occurred in Pakistan in the past one month. This is heinous indeed, but at the same time a big failure of the state security brass to prevent them from occurring.
There were nine attacks in southwestern Baluchistan province alone on Sunday in which at least six Pakistani soldiers were killed and 17 more were wounded. This wave of attacks against the country’s security forces happened in different districts of the province.
Pakistan Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif said that the “nation pays its tributes and respects to our heroes who laid down their lives for Pakistan. The perpetrators of terrorism will be brought to justice. Let there be no mistake about it.”
Action is required to fight the terrorism. Such mere condemnation and statements will carry no weight. How Sharif can think about the security situation while the mainstream remains busy to deal with different political turmoil.
Using this gap, Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) have reached Islamabad, other cities and hoisted their flags in North Waziristan, throwing the Pashtuns people, who are living in the area, to the wolves once again.
“Very alarming and concerning scenes from Mir Ali bazar, N. Waziristan where Taliban hoisted their flag and issued warnings. A new great game and a new war is underway with Pakhtunkhwa as the primary battleground. All at the cost of the lives of our people,” Mohsin Dawar, a member of the National Assembly said.
A day ago, Dawar also tweeted that “Security forces get away with attacking civilians in N. Waziristan. They opened fire on 2 locals in Eidak. Shahid was killed “martyred”. The army is refusing to hand over his dead body to his family. This second young man was injured. Our people remain caught between terrorists and the army.”
The TTP onset in the capital
The TTP’s return to Islamabad, the capital city last week should not come as a surprise. A suicide bomber detonated his explosive-laden vehicle close to a residential area in Islamabad on December 23, killing an officer. The Pakistani Taliban (TTP) claimed responsibility for the attack as the group has been stepping up a violence campaign against the government. Another three police officers and seven passersby were wounded in the bombing.
The blast in Islamabad happened some 15 kilometers from the garrison city of Rawalpindi, where the military and government intelligence agencies are located.
The TTP has been carrying out more attacks across Pakistan after ending a month-long cease-fire with the government last month.
TTP’s spokesman Muhammad Khalid Khurasani said that the attack was in revenge for the killing of a senior leader.
In August, Abdul Wali, aka Omar Khalid Khorasani, considered one of the most influential TTP leaders, was killed in a roadside bombing in Paktika province in Afghanistan. The TTP has blamed Pakistani intelligence for the killing Khorasani and vowed revenge.
Meanwhile, the bombing in Islamabad comes days after Pakistani Special Forces said they have killed 25 suspected TTP-linked militants in a raid on a detention center in Bannu, a district in the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province. Three Pakistani soldiers and at least three hostages were also killed in the raid.
This is the first attack in Islamabad in a short period of time as Pakistan recorded 420 attacks since August last year, where many of them were in provinces. Of these, TTP has claimed responsibility for 141 attacks in the last three months, where Khyber Pakhtunkhwa has been the worst hit.
Potential terrorist attack at Islamabad’s Marriott Hotel
The United States embassy in Pakistan issued a warning about a possible terrorist attack against its citizens at the Marriott Hotel in the capital city Islamabad.

A view of the Marriott Hotel in Islamabad. (AFP)
“The US government is aware of information that unknown individuals are possibly plotting to attack Americans at the Marriott Hotel in Islamabad sometime during the holidays. Effective immediately, the Embassy in Islamabad is prohibiting all American staff from visiting Islamabad’s Marriott Hotel,” the embassy said in a security alert.
It furthered, “Islamabad has been placed on a Red Alert citing security concerns while banning all public gatherings, the embassy is urging all Mission personnel to refrain from non-essential, unofficial travel in Islamabad throughout the holiday season.”
Besides the US, the United Kingdom also urged its citizens to avoid visiting the Marriot Hotel in Islamabad.
“We advise British nationals in Islamabad to exercise additional vigilance and minimize exposure to densely populated and unsecured areas that pose a higher risk,” the advisory from the British Embassy in Pakistan read.
In 2008, an attack at the Marriott Hotel in Islamabad killed 54 people and wounded more than 250 others.
UAE visa ban for Pakistanis
Following the news that the United Arab Emirates (UAE) is no longer providing visas to Pakistani citizens belonging to certain cities, Pakistan had refuted the report.
“We have seen the reports. We can confirm that no such ban is in place by the UAE for issuance of visas to Pakistani citizens,” Pakistan official at Foreign Affairs Mumtaz Zahra Baloch said.
The responses came as reports were being circulated that the gulf country is not allowing visas to some of the Pakistani cities including Abbottabad, Attock, Bajaur Agency, Chakwal, Dera Ghazi Khan, Dera Ismail Khan, Hangu, Hunza, Quetta, Kasur, Kohat, Kotli, Khushab, Khurrum Agency, Larkana, Mohmand Agency, Muzaffargarh, Nawabshah, Parachinar, Sahiwal, Sargodha, Sheikhupura, Skardu and Sukkur.
ASIA
Xi urges global CEOs to safeguard trade and supply chains

Chinese President Xi Jinping, in a meeting with a group of executives including Rajesh Subramaniam from FedEx and Bill Winters from Standard Chartered, called on global business leaders to work together to protect supply chains.
Amid a deepening trade war with the US, the Chinese leader told the group of foreign business leaders, including Pascal Soriot from AstraZeneca and Miguel Ángel López Borrego from Thyssenkrupp, that they should resist behaviors that “turn back” history.
Speaking at the meeting held in Beijing on Friday, Xi said, “We hope everyone will have a broad and long-term perspective and not blindly follow actions that disrupt the security and stability of global industrial and supply chains, but instead add more positive energy and certainty to global development.”
The event at the Great Hall of the People marked the second consecutive year that Xi held a carefully arranged meeting with foreign CEOs in the Chinese capital. Last year’s event involved only US business leaders.
The meeting took place at the end of a busy week for Chinese policymakers, who are striving to strengthen relations with the international business community amid rising tensions with the administration of US President Donald Trump.
China’s leading annual CEO conference, the China Development Forum, was held earlier this week in Beijing, followed by the Boao Forum for Asia on the tropical resort island of Hainan.
Beijing is trying to present itself as a bastion of stability in global trade, in contrast to the US, where Trump has launched successive waves of tariffs on many products, from aluminum to automobiles.
Trump pledged on April 2 to impose broad and reciprocal taxes on US trade partners.
ASIA
Trump’s potential auto tariffs worry Japan and South Korea

Following US President Donald Trump’s announcement that he would impose a 25% tariff on imported cars and auto parts, Japan’s Prime Minister sounded the alarm on Thursday.
Prime Minister Shigeru Ishiba told lawmakers during a parliamentary session, “We need to consider appropriate responses,” adding, “All options will be on the table.”
This move, seen as undermining a bilateral agreement made between Trump and then-Prime Minister Shinzo Abe in September 2019, came as a surprise to Japan. This limited trade deal had opened Japan’s market to more American agricultural products. The agreement states that the two countries “will refrain from taking measures contrary to the spirit of these agreements.”
Japanese automakers reacted cautiously to the announcement. Toyota, Subaru, Mazda, and Honda issued brief statements saying they were assessing the potential impact.
Imported cars and trucks are currently subject to tariffs of 2.5% and 25%, respectively. When the new tariffs take effect on April 3, these rates will rise to 27.5% and 50%. The 25% tariff will also apply to automotive parts like engines and transmissions, taking effect no later than May 3.
Japan’s Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshimasa Hayashi said the government intends to negotiate exemptions. Economists say it is unclear how exemptions might be secured, but there are several options.
According to economists, options Japan might consider include voluntary export restraints, a commitment to increase imports of items like natural gas, grain, and meat, and replacing Russian natural gas with gas from the US. In 2023, 8.9% of Japan’s natural gas imports came from Russia, while 7.2% came from the US.
“Japan will likely be looking at all these options,” said Koichi Fujishiro, a senior economist at the Dai-ichi Life Research Institute.
South Korea in a similar situation
South Korea is also expected to seek exemptions. Analysts said that South Korean automaker Hyundai Motor Group’s announcement earlier this week of a $21 billion US investment would help its negotiating position.
Esther Yim, a senior analyst at Samsung Securities, said, “The US has, in principle, applied a 25% tariff on all imported cars,” adding, “Washington can then negotiate with each country, and I think investment can be used as leverage.”
South Korea’s Ministry of Industry pledged an emergency response by April to help the country’s automakers, who are expected to face “significant challenges” when the tariffs take effect.
Over the years, global automakers have shifted to local production to avoid trade friction. According to the Mitsubishi Research Institute, 60% of Japanese cars sold in the US are produced in the US. This figure drops to 40% for Korean cars. For European brands, the rate is as high as 70%.
Although Ishiba insists all options are on the table, few analysts expect Japan to resort to retaliatory measures, at least at this point. “Japan would gain very little by retaliating against US tariffs,” Fujishiro said.
At a summit with Trump in February, Ishiba pointed out that Japan is the largest investor in the US and a significant job creator, promising to work towards increasing Japan’s investment balance from $783.3 billion in 2023 to $1 trillion.
Cars, Japan’s largest export item to the US, are worth 6 trillion yen ($40 billion) and will account for 28% of Japan’s total exports in 2024. This amount is equivalent to 1% of Japan’s nominal gross domestic product.
Takahide Kiuchi from the Nomura Research Institute estimates that a 25% tariff would reduce Japan’s car exports to the US by 15% to 20% and lower Japan’s GDP by 0.2%.
If Japanese automakers try to respond by shifting production to the US, this would reduce domestic employment and hollow out the country’s economy in the long run.
Masanori Katayama, chairman of the Japan Automobile Manufacturers Association, said at a press conference last week, “Car exports from Japan are necessary to supplement the domestic production of Japanese automakers and to provide a lineup of attractive cars… to meet the diverse needs of American customers through car dealerships in every US state.”
Katayama said that when the US implements the tariff, “a significant production adjustment is expected. The Japanese auto industry consists not only of automakers but also parts suppliers and employs 5.5 million people.”
Katayama insisted that the industry and the Japanese government must come together to take action and keep domestic supply chains intact.
The tariffs are also expected to harm American automakers because they too source parts and manufacture globally to keep costs down and make their cars competitive in the market.
Nomura analyst Anindya Das said General Motors could fall into an operating loss on an annual basis due to its reliance on factories in Mexico. He added that Toyota could also see a 30% drop in operating profit.
Jennifer Safavian, president and CEO of Autos Drive America, an industry group representing international automakers operating in the US, including Toyota, Honda, Nissan, and others, said, “Tariffs imposed today will make it more expensive to produce and sell cars in the US, ultimately leading to higher prices, fewer choices for consumers, and fewer manufacturing jobs in the US.”
ASIA
South Korean opposition leader Lee Jae-myung acquitted in election law case

A court in South Korea on Wednesday overturned a lower court’s decision, ruling that the main opposition party leader is not guilty of violating election law. If this decision is upheld, it will pave the way for him to run in the next presidential election.
Prosecutors can appeal the decision, which could take the case to the Supreme Court, South Korea’s highest judicial body.
Speaking outside the court after the ruling was announced, Lee Jae-myung thanked the court for the decision, which he described as “the right decision.”
The charges against Lee stem from remarks he made in 2021 while competing in his party’s presidential primary, where he allegedly denied knowing one of the key figures in a real estate development scandal. The scandal involved a redevelopment project in Seongnam city, where Lee was mayor. Prosecutors allege Lee lied about his relationship with businessman Kim Moon-ki to conceal his own culpability in the real estate deal.
Immediately after the court’s decision was announced, Kweon Seong-dong, leader of the ruling People Power Party, called the ruling “regrettable” and urged the Supreme Court to quickly decide the case.
Lee, a trained lawyer and experienced politician, lost the 2022 presidential election by the narrowest margin in South Korea’s democratic history to now-impeached President Yoon Suk Yeol.
Yoon, Lee’s fierce rival, is awaiting a Constitutional Court ruling on his impeachment over charges of leading an insurrection in December. Lawmakers voted to impeach Yoon following his attempt to declare martial law in early December, which he claimed was necessary to protect South Korea from opposition “anti-state forces.” The measure was quickly rejected in the National Assembly, but the attempt triggered a political crisis that continues months later.
The Constitutional Court completed hearings on Yoon’s case late last month and is expected to deliver its verdict within days, although no official date has been announced. If the court finds Yoon not guilty, he will be immediately reinstated. If found guilty, an early election will be held within 60 days.
Data released last week by polling firm Gallup Korea showed Lee as the leading choice among potential candidates for the next presidential election. Lee, with a support rate of 36%, was far ahead of the number 2 likely candidate, conservative Labor Minister Kim Moon-soo.
Yoon’s impeachment delay: Legal rigour or political deadlock?
-
EUROPE1 week ago
F-35 debate intensifies across Germany and Europe
-
EUROPE2 weeks ago
Europe plans for US absence in NATO with 5-10 year strategy
-
DIPLOMACY1 week ago
Trump’s proposed fees on Chinese ships threaten US maritime industry
-
AMERICA2 weeks ago
Trump’s tariffs drive Nvidia to invest heavily in US manufacturing
-
EUROPE2 weeks ago
French defense industry gears up for war amid EU strategic autonomy push
-
EUROPE1 week ago
Calls for German nuclear armament grow louder
-
ASIA1 week ago
Beijing’s energy rules threaten Nvidia H20 chip sales in China
-
DIPLOMACY2 weeks ago
US, Britain, and Türkiye excluded from EU armament fund